This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1532 / 51°9'11"N
Longitude: -0.2761 / 0°16'34"W
OS Eastings: 520660
OS Northings: 140742
OS Grid: TQ206407
Mapcode National: GBR HHK.P08
Mapcode Global: VHGSN.58CS
Entry Name: Home Farm House and Nos 1 and 2 Cottages
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Last Amended: 2 October 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378140
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290271
Location: Newdigate, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Newdigate
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Newdigate
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 24 SW NEWDIGATE CP DUKE'S ROAD
1896/9/157 Home Farm House and Nos 1
and 2 Cottages
House, later part of mansion, later farmhouse, now divided into 3 properties. Circa 1351 remaining two bays of a two bay aisled base cruck open hall with crownpost roof, with late C15 rebuilding of low end of hall, refronted between 1574 and 1603, service wing added probably c1639, circa 1800 alterations, refenestrated in C20. Timber framed with rendered plinth and whitewashed brick infilling, tiled roof with "club" and patterned bands; oversailing gable to left. Two storeys; four framed bays with end stacks. Thinner wall frame to massive posts. Three C20 casements on each floor. Fine studded door to left of centre in moulded and chamfered surround, close stud frame either side, with strapwork hinges and flat hood on braces. Glazed between posts above. Brick and tile hung on right hand return front and brick wings at right angles to rear. Horsham slab roofs above and crown post roof on right hand wing. Good C17 stacks to rear with two diagonal and two square shafts under corbelled tops. Interior retains crownpost roof to former aisled hall and top of base cruck brace. Late C15 close-studded partitions and arched doorways. C16 chamfered beams cut away to insert early C19 stick baluster staircase. Some c1800 two-panelled doors, fireplace and cupboards with pintle hinges and L-hinges. Former east service wing has ground floor massive early C17 open fireplace with spice cupboard, arched doorway and upper floor has stone four-centred arched fireplace and old floorboards. This was the original Newdigate Place before the present house of that name was built to the south east. It is only remaining part of a large courtyard house erected by the Newdigate family in the C16, of which the remainder was demolished in the late C18 by John Smith Budgen.
MANNING AND BRAY: HISTORY OF SURREY. VOL. II (1809)
BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND: SURREY (1971) p.382.
REPORT ON HOME FARM BY P J GRAY 1998.
TREE-RING ANALYSIS OF TIMBERS FROM THE HOME FARM COMPLEX, NEWDIGATE, SURREY A M LAB REPORT 37/98.
Listing NGR: TQ2066040742
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings