This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1653 / 51°9'54"N
Longitude: -0.2885 / 0°17'18"W
OS Eastings: 519764
OS Northings: 142059
OS Grid: TQ197420
Mapcode National: GBR HHB.ZVC
Mapcode Global: VHGSF.YZB3
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378141
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290283
Location: Newdigate, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Newdigate
Built-Up Area: Newdigate
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Newdigate
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
NEWDIGATE C.P. CHURCH ROAD
8/168 Church of St. Peter
Church. C12 and C13 with C15 belfry and north aisle of 1877, restored in C19.
Sandstone rubble walls with ashlar dressings, snecked sandstone on vestry.
Weatherboarded tower. Horsham slab roofs with wood-shingled broach spire. Nave
and pentice aisle to south, flat-roofed aisle to north. Chancel to east with
vestry to north, square-tower to west and porch to south. C19 fenestration on
nave and aisles, of two and three foiled-head lights. Perpendicular style tracery
window on east end of north aisle, 3-light trefoil-head, ogee hood mould tracery
on west window. C13 lancet fenestration on chancel to north and south, two-light
C13 window to south. East window of 1876-7 following earlier design with three-
stepped lancets under common relieving arch. Offset tower to west with offsets
hipped. One 3-light square-paned window on north and south sides to base.
Double doors to west in 16-centre arched head under 5-light, fixed, diamond-mullioned
window. Broach spire above. Gabled south porch and double doors. Priest door to
south side of chancel.
Interior:- C15 bellcage to west with double scissor type bracing to chamfered main
posts, on all sides. Two bay round pier arcades with ten-sided caps and half-
round pier responds to south. North aisle roof on corbelled eaves, panelled
chancel roof in dog-tooth cornice band.
Fittings. C14 round-head piscina in south wall of chancel. C15 ogee-head piscina
in south aisle. Old west gallery front of 1627 now set up under tower. 5-bay
screen with quatrefoil and foliage tracery. Late C19 stone font on octagonal stem.
Octagonal bowl over.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.382.
V.C.H. SURREY VOL III (1967 Edn).
Listing NGR: TQ1976442059
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings