This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.154 / 51°9'14"N
Longitude: -0.3205 / 0°19'13"W
OS Eastings: 517554
OS Northings: 140757
OS Grid: TQ175407
Mapcode National: GBR HHH.PS4
Mapcode Global: VHGSM.D8F5
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378150
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290219
Location: Capel, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Capel
Built-Up Area: Capel
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Capel
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
CAPEL C.P. THE STREET
8/105 Church of St. John
11/11/66 the Baptist
Church. C13, rebuilt and restored in 1865 by H. Woodyer. Sandstone and Bargate
stone blocks with ashlar dressings, Horsham slab roofs with wood-shingled bell-
cote and broach spire above under iron finial. Aisled nave, that to north
under catslide, with chancel to east, vestry to north, porches to south and west
and bellcote to west end. Arched 2-light openings in each face of tower with
scalloped ends to louvres. Diagonal offset buttresses on west end with sill
moulding to base of end gable; C19 lancet in gable apex. Decorated style west
window to north aisle, offset buttresses to north aisle north wall with one 6
and one 5-light window, broach stops to mullions and quatrefoils over trefoil-head
single light tracery. Small gable to North end of vestry with a two-light, hood-
moulded window and small door in buttress at junction with aisle. Further door
to east of vestry in pentice roofed extension at right angles to chancel.
Diagonal buttresses to east end with three-light and three cinquefoil roundels
over in east window. Three C13 lancets in south side of chancel with diagonal
chalk buttress at junction with nave. Three lancets to west of south porch, one
lancet and one plate-tracery window east of porch. Gabled porch to west with
'clunch' surround to arched door, partly recut. Main entrance to south:-
buttresses to ends flanking two-step, chamfered, arched door surround under
cambered tie beam to heavy, framed gable with King-post truss and scalloped
bargeboards. Dogstooth moulding over surround to south door.
Interior:- Crimped patterning around south door and tower door. Bell cage of old
design with chamfered posts and cross bracing, similar in design to Buckland
Church. C19 spiral staircase, again similar to that at Buckland, with pierced
decoration. Four bay north arcade, two round piers and two half-pier responds;
west bay on pier responds. Chamfered chancel arch. Windows on north aisle have
octagonal piers supporting rear lintel, broach stops to base of piers.
Fittings:- C19 screen. Pulpit - Whitestone and coloured marble shafts under
foliate caps. Arcaded sides. Piscinae to north and south walls of chancel.
Fine font of black marble. Octagonal, on thick, round stem with gilt carving.
Crimped decoration to font cover, crucifix decoration on alternate faces.
Monuments:- South Chancel wall:- John Cowper d.1590. Coloured marbles and painted,
Kneeler type with crowning broken pediment, containing central heraldic roundel, on
Composite columns. Arched panels over figures, set back, with half-eggs in
spandrels. Scrolled apron and inscription panels below. Robert Cowper. 1720.
Wall tablet in City Baroque style. Open segmental pediment with crowning cartouche
on Composite, attached half-columns and flanking scrolls. Drapery over central
arched inscription panel and gadrooning to base.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.131.
Listing NGR: TQ1755440757
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings