This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2801 / 51°16'48"N
Longitude: -0.2736 / 0°16'24"W
OS Eastings: 520506
OS Northings: 154857
OS Grid: TQ205548
Mapcode National: GBR HG0.PN9
Mapcode Global: VHGS2.62QZ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 29 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378152
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290233
Location: Headley, Mole Valley, Surrey, KT18
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Headley
Built-Up Area: Headley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Headley with Box Hill
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
HEADLEY C.P. CHURCH LANE
4/119 Church of St. Mary
Church. 1855 nave and chancel by A. Salvin with tower of 1859 by G. E. Street.
Flint rubble, coursed on nave, with stone and rendered dressings, knapped flint
on tower and chancel. Slate roofs with wood shingled broach spire over tower.
Tower to west, nave with porch to south and chancel to east with vestry on north.
Three stage tower with angle quoins and diagonal, offset buttresses to lower
stage and roll moulding on angles of upper stages. Buttresses have short
foliate-cap shafts on angles to upper part. One squat, 2-light louvred window
in each face of top stage, with foliate ends to impost string course. Central
quatrefoil and trefoil heads to openings with two-step reveals. Two quatrefoil
panels to each face of upper stage. West face - clock face below with single
fixed casement either side, two-light and cinque-foil roundel below under hood
mould which continues as a string course to sides. West door below in dog-tooth
moulding with foliate end stops. Impost string course continues to each side.
Jamb shafts, with portrait heads and foliage roll mouldings, flank the double west
doors. Lancet fenestration on remainder of church, both paired and single, in
chamfered surrounds on buttressed nave. Paired lancets under hood moulds, sill
string course on chancel. Crucifixes to gable apexes of nave and chancel.
Buttressed chancel with 5-light Decorated style east window. Gabled porch to
south with hood moulding and chamfered surround to replacement studded door.
Interior:- Arched braced roof. Panelled walls. Glazed tower arch. Panelled
chancel roof, the eastern two bays with cross ribs and bosses. Coved and billeted
eaves to chancel with rosettes.
Fittings:- C19. Piscina to south side of chancel. Simple panelled pulpit.
Church font - octagonal bowl on wider plinth with turreted font cover under
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) - p.312.
Listing NGR: TQ2050654857
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings