History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mole Valley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2882 / 51°17'17"N

Longitude: -0.3526 / 0°21'9"W

OS Eastings: 514977

OS Northings: 155625

OS Grid: TQ149556

Mapcode National: GBR 5V.RSM

Mapcode Global: VHFVC.TWZC

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 7 September 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1378187

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290439

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT22

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Fetcham East

Built-Up Area: Leatherhead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Fetcham

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Bookham

Listing Text

FETCHAM LOWER ROAD
TQ/15/NW (south side, off)
2/52

7.9.51 Church of St Mary

GV II*

Parish church. C11 and C12 nave and tower, with C13 chancel and north transept,
tower partly rebuilt in late C17 or early C18; restored, porch added and north
aisle added or rebuilt in C19. Knapped flint incorporating some Roman tiles, with
limestone quoins, and brick quoins and bands to tower; roof mostly of red tiles,
but with graduated stone slates on aisles and south side of chancel. Nave with
north and south aisles, north porch, north transept and south tower opposed to it,
and chancel. The 3-bay nave has full-height aisles under cat-slide roofs, that on
the south side embracing the tower at the junction with the chancel which also
overlaps it slightly. The 3-stage tower, each upper stage slightly set back above
a weathered band of moulded brick, has large diagonal buttresses to the exposed
corners (each with 3 brick-clad offsets), 2 restored round-headed lancets at
ground floor, a similar lancet in the 2nd stage with a chamfered brick surround,
a similar but taller belfry window in each side of the 3rd stage, with wooden
louvres, and above that on the south side a deep band of diapering; and an
embattled parapet. The west end of the nave has a large C19 2-centred arched
3-light window; to the right of this a vertical joint shows that the south aisle
was an addition at the time it was rebuilt (confirmed by picture hanging inside
church); both aisles have C19 coupled lancets, and in the centre of the north
aisle a C19 gabled porch with deeply-moulded 2-centred arched outer doorway
protects a C13 2-centred arched inner doorway with double-chamfered surround.
The tall gabled north transept has a large C14 2-light window in the gable wall
with trefoil lights and mouchette tracery, and 2 chamfered lancets in the east
side. The chancel has 2 similar lancets in this side, a C19 3-light east window,
and a large C15 square-headed window on the south side with 3 cinquefoil lights,
chamfered surround and a hood mould. Interior: Norman 3-bay south arcade with
massive circular piers and semicircular responds, scalloped square caps, and
semicircular arches, and in the wall above the 1st pier a deeply splayed C11
window; C13 north arcade of 2 wider 2-centred chamfered arches on octagonal
columns without capitals; a large 2-centred double-chamfered arch to the
transept, which has a wide arched altar recess with dog-tooth enrichment, and a
triangular-headed piscina; to the left of the chancel arch, remains of a similar
but smaller recess; in the south pier of the chancel arch, a small 2-centred
arched doorway to stone spiral stairs which formerly led to a rood loft (the
corresponding upper doorway in the west side of the pier now blocked); deep
splays to the lancet windows in the transept and the chancel; in the chancel,
tripartite sedilia with polished colonettes (probably C19), a piscina with wooden
shelf, and wall monuments to Anthony Rous (d.1631) and Henry Vincent (d.1631),
the latter including a praying bust with an open book, in a cartouche with
Corinthian colonettes; in the left side of the porch, a large lettered tablet dated
1717 recording details of a charitable trust.


Listing NGR: TQ1497755625

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.