History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Vale Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Mole Valley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2876 / 51°17'15"N

Longitude: -0.3261 / 0°19'34"W

OS Eastings: 516822

OS Northings: 155598

OS Grid: TQ168555

Mapcode National: GBR 7J.LGZ

Mapcode Global: VHGRV.9WFV

Entry Name: Vale Lodge

Listing Date: 7 September 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1378203

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290528

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT22

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Leatherhead South

Built-Up Area: Leatherhead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Leatherhead

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Leatherhead

Listing Text

LEATHERHEAD DOWNS LANE
TQ/15/NE (west side)
3/131

7.9.51 Vale Lodge

GV II

Large house, now 4 dwellings. Built on site of former Rectory c.1780, and
subsequently enlarged. Brick, mostly covered with stucco and roughcast, and all
painted white; slate roofs. Roughly L-shaped plan formed by ranges of different
builds joined at the north-west corner, with some accretions. Two and 2½
storeys; the entrance front facing north has a 6-bay main range (with a vertical
joint in the centre), a canted bay attached to the right-hand end of this, and
the returned end of the west range next to this. The left half of the main
range, which is slightly set back, has a doorway next to the joint protected by a
modern porch, and a 16-pane sashed window to the left; the right-hand half has
a large tripartite sashed window left of centre, a small round-headed window to
the left and a 12-pane sash to the right; the whole range has six 12-pane sashes
at 1st floor, a 2-span mansard roof with 4 dormers, ridge chimneys in the centre
and gable chimneys to the right. The canted bay to the right has 12-pane sashes
on both floors (but that to the right at ground floor now covered by a large
modern porch), and a shallow hipped roof concealed by the parapet. The end of
the west range has a large rectangular former porch with Tuscan columns distyle
in antis (now partly covered by infilling with a 12-pane sashed window), a plain
frieze, cornice and blocking course; and a similar window at 1st floor. The west
front is symmetrical, 7 bays, with 2-storey canted bay windows in the 2nd and
6th, and has mostly 12-pane sashed windows except the ground floor of the
canted bays, which have French windows (those to the right altered); and a
parapet concealing the roof, which has 3 chimneys. The rear has been variously
altered. Interior not inspected.


Listing NGR: TQ1682255598

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.