History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

16 and 18, Gravel Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Mole Valley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2961 / 51°17'45"N

Longitude: -0.3303 / 0°19'49"W

OS Eastings: 516508

OS Northings: 156543

OS Grid: TQ165565

Mapcode National: GBR 6P.5F0

Mapcode Global: VHGRV.7P78

Entry Name: 16 and 18, Gravel Hill

Listing Date: 7 September 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1378204

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290534

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT22

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Leatherhead North

Built-Up Area: Leatherhead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Leatherhead

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Leatherhead

Listing Text

LEATHERHEAD GRAVEL HILL
TQ 1656 NE (east side)
10/137

7.9.51 Nos. 16 and 18

GV II

Pair of cottages. Dated 1799 at 1st floor. Knapped flint with red brick quoins
and dressings, red tile roof. Double-depth plan, each cottage single-fronted. Two
storeys and 4 bays over a very high basement, symmetrical, with segmental-
headed raised doorways in the outer bays approached by flights of 7 steps
parallel to the wall and protected by simple bar railings; the lower part of the
basement wall is rendered and painted white (as are the outsides of the steps)
and has 2 small windows with altered glazing, and the upper part has 2 small
horizontal inserted windows; the ground floor has 2 segmental-headed 12-pane
sashed windows with brick surrounds, and the 1st floor has 2 similar windows
above these, blind windows in the outer bays, and a roundel in the centre with
render inscribed "1799", all with brick surrounds. Half-hipped roof with
projecting eaves and central chimney stack. The left return wall has a very
small attic window in the gable; the right-hand return wall has a blocked
segmental-headed opening to the basement, a blocked or blind window on each
floor above, and a 2-light attic window in the gable, but is otherwise covered by
the adjoining building. The rear has a full-height weather-boarded extension.
Interior not inspected.


Listing NGR: TQ1650856543

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.