This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3214 / 51°19'16"N
Longitude: -0.2681 / 0°16'5"W
OS Eastings: 520780
OS Northings: 159453
OS Grid: TQ207594
Mapcode National: GBR 94.H35
Mapcode Global: VHGRW.91MW
Entry Name: The Durdans
Listing Date: 10 January 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378221
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290627
Location: Epsom and Ewell, Surrey, KT18
District: Epsom and Ewell
Town: Epsom and Ewell
Electoral Ward/Division: Woodcote
Built-Up Area: Epsom
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Epsom St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 2059 34/86 10.1.74.
1764. Architect William Newton. Altered in C19, possibly by George Devey.
Red brick. Pitched slate roof. 2 storeys. Moulded stone cornice and
balustrade. Principal front has 2 - 3 - 2 windows with C19 stone mullions
and transoms. Centre 3 bays break forward slightly. Neo-Georgian porch
in centre of ground floor. Garden front similar, but central 3 bays are
canted. End elevations have 2 ranges of windows under coped gable end,
in which is set 1 semi-circular lunette. 2 cartouches in south end.
1 reads "Chs. Dalbiac Restt. 1764 Wm. Newton Art",. and the other "SG.
Sibyllae Amicisque 1929-55". Interior retains at least 2 original chimney
pieces to Newton's designs (drawings in R I B A Collection), of which
the better has a depressed arch with a keystone, surmounted by a marble
bas-relief and flanked by detached Ionic columns. Original house was
built by Lord Berkeley in the mid C17, and its appearance suggests that
it was as advanced in taste as his more famous town house in Piccadilly.
Its subsequent owners included the 2nd Duke of Argyll (in 1708), The
Earl of Guilford (in 17ll), and Frederick, Prince of Wales. It was pulled
down and the present house built for Charles Dalbiac. In the late C19
it was the seat of the Earl of Rosebery, Prime Minister and owner of several
Listing NGR: TQ2078059452
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings