History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cedars

A Grade II* Listed Building in Epsom and Ewell, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3316 / 51°19'53"N

Longitude: -0.2615 / 0°15'41"W

OS Eastings: 521216

OS Northings: 160598

OS Grid: TQ212605

Mapcode National: GBR 93.YKJ

Mapcode Global: VHGRP.FS4L

Entry Name: The Cedars

Listing Date: 10 April 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1378227

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290648

Location: Epsom and Ewell, Surrey, KT17

County: Surrey

District: Epsom and Ewell

Town: Epsom and Ewell

Electoral Ward/Division: Town

Built-Up Area: Epsom

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Epsom St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Epsom

Listing Text

EPSOM
1.
1086
CHURCH STREET
(West Side)
No 14
(The Cedars)
TQ 2160 30/20 10.4.54.
II* GV

2.
Late C17-early C18. Two storeys with central three storey "tower" of
stock brick. Wings of stock brick with red brick dressings, 3 sashes,
plain pilasters to angles, tall parapets ramped up to ball finials. "Tower"
has central pilasters, carved brackets, open pediment enclosing shield
of arms crest of Mysters of Charterhouse Square, London, builder of the
house. Door of six fielded panels. 1st floor of tower with 3 sashes
and cill on brackets, the outer windows narrow. Band between storeys,
2nd floor has semi-circular window in three parts, bracketed sill and
ornamental keystone. Cornice, blocking course and ball finials.
Interior: hall has plaster cornice, marble floor and staircase with turned
balusters. South ground floor room has plaster panelling and ceiling
with Rococo designs including 4 portrait medallians. Wooden chimney piece
with pedimented shelf, Rococo carving on frieze and festoons of flowers
on pilasters. Overmantel with mirror set in scrolled and shouldered architrave.
Ornamental cast iron fire back. Doorway with reeded pilasters, cornice
and Arms of Mysters over, surrounded by festoon of fruit. South back
room with panelled plaster ceiling containing heads of the Four Seasons.
North back room has panelled ceiling. Two bedrooms on garden front with
panelling. Good joinery throughout. The Cedars, built by a Lord Mayor
of German extraction, was the home of Mary Moffatt, who married Dr Livingstone
from here.

Nos 14 to 24 (even), Nos 24A, 24B. Outhouse to north of No 18 and the
Old King's Head Public House form a group.


Listing NGR: TQ2121660598

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.