History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Barn

A Grade II Listed Building in Farnham, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2113 / 51°12'40"N

Longitude: -0.8374 / 0°50'14"W

OS Eastings: 481304

OS Northings: 146429

OS Grid: SU813464

Mapcode National: GBR C8Q.YYM

Mapcode Global: VHDY1.FTN9

Entry Name: The Barn

Listing Date: 29 December 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1378276

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290920

Location: Farnham, Waverley, Surrey, GU10

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Farnham

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Wrecclesham

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Farnham

Listing Text

1099 DIPPENHALL
The Barn
SU 84 NW 11/352
II

Architect: Harold Falkner. Started 1925 circa.; the building has been assembled from various timber-framed structures which are more apparent from within than in tile exterior. Internally, galleried hall leads down red tile steps; to a living room of enormous height open to a timber-framed roof with tall bay window in south-east wall extending almost up to the roof; circular green marble floor; 4-centred fireplace in south-west wall.
Entrance face: tile roof descends very low .Central half-timbered porch with hipped tile roof. 2 sets of 3-light leaded casements to either side of door. At either end, wall-plate rises higher, and roof forms 2 hipped tile gables over it; 2 circular lunettes in each upper area of wall. Massive brick stack above upper storey at left hand end; in right hand gable end external stone chimney with panelled brick stack.
Garden front: 2 storeys. Low steeply pitched tile roof. In centre; splayed bay window of 6 lights extends upwards through both floors with timber-framed
gable over 4 window bays to either side; weatherboarding in 2 bays immediately flanking centre. Church with red brick to either side again. Leaded casements, 2 end 3 or single light. At either end, wall of church with round-headed, brick gateway curves southwards to a gazebo with ogee shaped tile roof. Square gazebo of church to west side: round-headed entrance and round-headed window in each return wall with voussoir and keystone rising into roof space. Similarly shaped gazebo at south-east end: round-headed open entrances in north-east end south-west sides and round-headed openings [unglazed] in 2 remaining sides. Shallow pools; well-head and archway before centre window on garden side.

Listing NGR: SU8130446429

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.