This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2181 / 51°13'5"N
Longitude: -0.8328 / 0°49'58"W
OS Eastings: 481615
OS Northings: 147188
OS Grid: SU816471
Mapcode National: GBR DB2.D9S
Mapcode Global: VHDY1.JN32
Entry Name: Burles burles Cottage
Listing Date: 29 December 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378312
English Heritage Legacy ID: 290982
Location: Farnham, Waverley, Surrey, GU10
Civil Parish: Farnham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Farnham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
1099 LOWER OLD PARK
Burles and Burles Cottage
SU 84 NW 11/351
One building. Architect: Harold Falkner. Completed in 1937. The building is based on and built round 2 timber-framed barns from Gloucestershire which Falkner placed end to end.
Along the south-east fron the barns form a very long and continuous overhang; timber-framing of post-and-pen construction on the 1st floor overhangs a ground floor of stone rubble and brick. 6 windows on ground floor. Mullioned windows with small leaded lights. Low steeply pitched tile roof wihich at the left hand [south-west] end extends over a cantilevered attic storey in the couth-west gable end. Below this, extending downwards through 1st and ground floors of gable end, a wide spayed bay with mullioned windows and leaded lilghts and 3-centred headed doorway on ground floor. At the right hand end of the south-east front, an adjunct to the mian timber-framed strucutre comprises Burles Cottage wichi projects forward to the south-east. This is also of timber-framed construction above a brick sill. On the oppisite side of Burles Cottage, facing towards the north-east, there are 2 window bays and a 6-panelled door.
Along the entrance of the Burles (facing north-west) the rood descends to a much lover level except at the left hand end. Here there are 3 conjoined gables of timber-framed construction with coved cornice above a 1st floor also of timber-framed construction which in turn overhangs a ground floor and basement of brick and stone rubble with battered buttresses of brick. Small mullioned casement windows with leaded lights. Steps lead down to round-headed 6-panelled cellar door. From here to the south-west end of the building, the roof descends much lower; low wall-plate of post-and-pen timbering with continuous leaded lights below eaves; 4-centred headed doorway flanked to wither side by 2-light leaded casements; projection with one tall transomed and mullioned window which projects high into roof space; to right hand again, a further gabled projection to which is attached a very tall panelled chinmey; one other small gable to right hand again, and, at south-western end, a further window bay.
Set back along the entrance front there is a stone wall with niches and recesses of baring shape and with a flight of steps leading up to the garden wall behind. In the garden to the south-west of the house, a serives of steps round a semi-circular terrace of stone and flint rubble leads up tp a semi-circular exedra.
Listing NGR: SU8161547188
Other nearby listed buildings