This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7942 / 50°47'39"N
Longitude: -1.1051 / 1°6'18"W
OS Eastings: 463172
OS Northings: 99787
OS Grid: SZ631997
Mapcode National: GBR VNT.8D
Mapcode Global: FRA 86KZ.Z5L
Entry Name: Former Gunwharf Gateway and Walls of Approximately 3 Metres to North 38 Metres to South
Listing Date: 13 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378580
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476530
Location: Portsmouth, PO1
County: City of Portsmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: St Thomas
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SZ 6399 PORTSMOUTH GUNWHARF ROAD
Former Gunwharf Gateway &
walls of approx 3m to N,
38m to S
Former entrance into naval ordnance yard, with attached walls. Late C18-early C19, with some alteration to walls in later C19. Red brick in Flemish garden wall bond with rubbed brick and ashlar dressings. Entrance, bricked up, has square gate piers, each with coped side piers; on front and rear sides (west and east) piers have a rubbed brick round-arched recess with ashlar sill and circular recess above; ashlar cornice with blocking course forming base to inward-pointing carved stone mortar finials. To either side of entrance a lower section of wall, each approx. 3 metres long, has blind round arch and flat coping. Wall continues southwards for approx. 35 metres and is approx. 2 metres high with brick string below triangular-sectioned brick coping; it terminates in a square brick pier with chamfered plinth and cogged, stepped, band below capstone.
HISTORY: the gateway provided access into the Board of Ordnance's original Gun Wharf Yard, swallowed by the 1770s New Gun Wharf extension. Armaments and ordnance stores were kept here while ships were in Ordinary at Portsmouth dockyard. The entrance forms part of the development of the Yard, and is notable for the mortar finials. These are found at other Ordnance entrances such as the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich, but stone examples are rare.
(Sources: Coad JG: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 180-181, 257-259 ; Coad J: Historic Architecture of HM Naval Base Portsmouth 1700-1850: Portsmouth: 1981: 53,55).
Listing NGR: SU6610802158
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings