This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5688 / 51°34'7"N
Longitude: -0.1499 / 0°8'59"W
OS Eastings: 528323
OS Northings: 187163
OS Grid: TQ283871
Mapcode National: GBR DT.WCY
Mapcode Global: VHGQL.CT3S
Entry Name: The Catacombs and Terrace in Highgate (Western) Cemetery
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378923
English Heritage Legacy ID: 478284
Location: Camden, London, N6
Electoral Ward/Division: Highgate
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Michael Highgate
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2887SW SWAIN'S LANE
798-1/5/1558 (West side)
14/05/74 The Catacombs and Terrace in
Highgate (Western) Cemetery
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGHGATE (WESTERN) CEMETERY
The Catacombe Entrance & Terrace)
Catacombs beneath terrace cut into the hillside. c1838-9.
Possibly by JB Bunning, utilizing and extending the existing
terrace, originally forming part of the garden of Ashurst
House (demolished). Brick with stone entrances. 5 central bays
form canted projection. Piers rise from ground level to form
dies, with gabled stone trefoil caps, to cast-iron traceried
terrace balustrade; polygonal piers at angles. Terrace
approached by flights of stone steps at either end. Central
pointed arch entrance with hoodmould and cast-iron gates
flanked by square-headed architraved doorways with coats of
arms on keystones and cast-iron panelled doors; above,
escutcheons with 4 small light openings.
INTERIOR: brick vaulted and originally lit by oculi set in
terrace. Gallery, more than 80 yards long, lined with separate
recesses, each large enough to take a single coffin end on,
from floor to ceiling down both sides of length, 840 in all.
Apertures sealed with inscribed slabs or small glass
HISTORICAL NOTE: the catacombs could be used as a permanent
resting place or temporarily whilst a plot was chosen. The
terrace is probably the earliest surviving asphalted building
in the country having originally been surfaced by Claridge;
resurfaced late C20.
Listing NGR: TQ2854186964
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings