History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moreton House

A Grade II Listed Building in Frognal and Fitzjohns, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5571 / 51°33'25"N

Longitude: -0.1809 / 0°10'51"W

OS Eastings: 526202

OS Northings: 185814

OS Grid: TQ262858

Mapcode National: GBR D0.F25

Mapcode Global: VHGQR.T465

Entry Name: Moreton House

Listing Date: 11 December 1969

Last Amended: 11 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1379119

English Heritage Legacy ID: 478485

Location: Camden, London, NW3

County: London

District: Camden

London Borough Ward: Frognal and Fitzjohns

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Hampstead

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ2685NW HOLLY WALK
798-1/26/924 (East side)
11/12/69 Moreton House
(Formerly Listed as:
HOLLY WALK
Moreton)

GV II

Detached house, now divided into flats. c1896. By Thomas
Garner. For antiquary & art collector FE Sidney. Rough-cast
with stone dressings. Tiled, gabled roofs with tall stone
chimney-stacks.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. 3-bay, gabled front, the central bay
projecting, the ground floor forming a porch. Cotswold
vernacular Jacobean style. Stone porch in C17 manner with
round-arched entrance flanked by columns on pedestals
supporting an entablature, broken forward over columns;
rectangular openings on returns with baluster mullions. Above
the porch a sculptured heraldic tablet and above the 1st floor
window a sculptured Virgin and Child in an aedicule. 4-light
transom and mullion casements to ground floor, 3 and 4-light
transomed casements to upper floors; all with small leaded
panes. Decorated rainwater heads and pipes dated 1896.
Right-hand return with chimney-stack rising full height of
house and flanked at 3rd floor level by 2 small casements.
Rear elevation with projecting wings having half timbered
gables and transom and mullion windows.
INTERIOR: not inspected but some main rooms noted to survive
including the library.

Listing NGR: TQ2620285814

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.