This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5556 / 51°33'20"N
Longitude: -0.1679 / 0°10'4"W
OS Eastings: 527108
OS Northings: 185666
OS Grid: TQ271856
Mapcode National: GBR D0.QBD
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.15KB
Entry Name: Keats House
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1379221
English Heritage Legacy ID: 478589
Location: Camden, London, NW3
Electoral Ward/Division: Hampstead Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: All Hallows Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2785NW KEATS GROVE
798-1/28/952 (South side)
Semi-detached pair, designed to appear as one house, known
when built as Wentworth Place; now converted to one house
being a house museum. c1815-16. Built for antiquary & critic
Charles Wentworth Dilke and writer Charles Armitage Brown;
altered c1839 and late C20. Stucco with plain 1st floor band.
Slated hipped roof having projecting eaves and tall
chimney-stacks on both returns.
2 storeys and basement. Double fronted with 3 windows plus 1
storey 2 window extension at east end added c1839-40. Ground
floor openings in shallow, round-arched recesses. Round-arched
doorway with splayed reveals, fanlight and panelled door
approached by steps with cast-iron railings. Ground floor
square-headed casements with cast-iron balconies. 1st floor
and extension, recessed sashes. Rear ground floor has
continuous cast-iron verandah.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: from 1818-20 the poet John Keats stayed with
Brown in the eastern part of the house (plaque); in 1819 Keats
composed "Ode to a Nightingale" here, and Dilke let the
western house to the family of Fanny Brawne, to whom Keats
became engaged. The houses were combined into one by Eliza
Chester, retired actress, in 1838-9. Now the Keats museum.
Listing NGR: TQ2710885666
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings