This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5582 / 51°33'29"N
Longitude: -0.1944 / 0°11'39"W
OS Eastings: 525267
OS Northings: 185911
OS Grid: TQ252859
Mapcode National: GBR C5.HNF
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.L32B
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1379248
English Heritage Legacy ID: 478616
Location: Camden, London, NW3
London Borough Ward: Frognal and Fitzjohns
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Luke Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2585NW KIDDERPORE AVENUE
798-1/24/977 (North side)
14/05/74 Church of St Luke
Church. 1897-99. By Basil Champneys at the expense of Sarah
Benedict Brown (d.1902), raised over church hall on falling
land and with later attached hall on south side, c1910. Red
brick with stone dressings. Roman tile roofs.
STYLE: late Gothic style mixing Decorated, Perpendicular and
Flamboyant motifs; form much influenced by churches of Bodley
and GG Scott junior.
EXTERIOR: 5-bay nave with clerestory and lean-to aisles. West
front dominated by tall gable to nave with 7-light traceried
window, and by porches projecting north and south with
crenellated parapets and a stair turret on south side, the
porch entrances and west window having enriched canopies with
crockets. Clerestory with tall 3-light traceried windows in
pairs. north aisle with square, 2-light windows and flying
buttresses; basement hall under church entered from this side.
South side with the hall of c1910 attached to the aisle, in
same style as church, consisting of 3 transverse gables with
3-light traceried windows in each to south and with
square-headed windows and separate entrance facing east and
west. Southern transept attached to choir for organ with
window in gable and hexagonal crenellated turret at south-east
corner crowned by lead-covered wooden fleche for bell. High
chancel with 4-light traceried windows on north and south
sides and 7-light east window with cross inscribed within
INTERIOR: formerly of red brick, now painted throughout. Fine
nave arcade of 5 bays with octagonal piers with dying
mouldings and no capitals, articulated by wall shafts rising
through spandrels to roof plate. Open-timbered king post roof
to nave, boarded chancel; no chancel arch. Heavy open-timbered
aisle roofs. Small west gallery carried on 3 open arches
across end of nave, with baptistry and font (given by
Champneys) beneath. Choir with high-backed stalls, finished
with cornice and fretwork decoration, large organ case on
(liturgical) south side. The altar rails and broad, carved
open-fronted timber pulpit on stone base complete a set of
chancel furniture carefully conceived as a group. Tripartite
stepped sedilia of unpainted stone, well carved. Broad reredos
of stone (now painted), without images. Chancel windows (4) by
Powells. Original pews. Great War memorial oak screen in 2
parts at west end behind pews, now brought slightly forward.
The attached hall on south side now divided from aisle by wall
of c1950 by Harold Dicksee. Hall has an arcade down centre
with octagonal stone piers, and boarded timber roofs. It may
have been built to serve students from the former Westfield
College, now King's College (qqv).
A little altered late Victorian church built for Evangelical
worship, with most of the fittings designed by its architect.
Listing NGR: TQ2526785911
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings