This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5159 / 51°30'57"N
Longitude: -0.1185 / 0°7'6"W
OS Eastings: 530649
OS Northings: 181339
OS Grid: TQ306813
Mapcode National: GBR KB.KS
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.W5Q8
Entry Name: Lindsey House and Attached Railings, Piers and Lamp Brackets
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1379333
English Heritage Legacy ID: 478712
Location: Camden, London, WC2A
Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Paul Covent Garden
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3081SE LINCOLN'S INN FIELDS
798-1/106/1060 (West side)
24/10/51 Nos.59 AND 60
Lindsey House and attached railings,
piers and lamp-brackets
(Formerly Listed as:
LINCOLN'S INN FIELDS
House. 1638-41 with alterations by Isaac Ware to form 2 houses
in 1751-2 and C20 alterations. Stuccoed front, partly painted,
with rusticated ground floor.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, basement and C20 attic with dormers. 5
windows. Coupled entrances with enriched consoles, pulvinated
frieze and cornice. Patterned arched fanlights. Architraved
windows, 1st floor with pulvinated frieze and pedimented
cornice, centre window with consoles and broken segmental
pediment with panel and festoon. Ionic pilasters through 1st
and 2nd floor between windows and on flanks. Entablature with
pulvinated frieze, modillion cornice and balustraded parapet.
INTERIOR: no original interiors remain. No.59 with moulded
balusters and carved ends to oak staircase. No.60 with C19
wrought-iron scroll topped square balusters to stone
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: rusticated red brick piers flanking
entrance to combined forecourt with carved stone terminals;
piers linked to house by plain brick buttressed wall.
Cast-iron railings on parapet wall along frontage with
wrought-iron lamp brackets.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built as the centrepiece of 'Arch Row' for
the gentleman-speculator William Newton. Variously attributed
to Inigo Jones, John Webb, Peter Mills and Nicholas Stone.
'Perhaps, historically, the most important single house in
London' (Sir John Summerson) as the model for the subsequent
development of London over two centuries. The wall surface
between the piers was originally of red brick.
(Survey of London: Vol. III, St Giles-in-the-Field, part I:
Lincoln's Inn Fields: London: -1912: 108-109; RCHME: Vol. II,
West London: London: -1935: 60; Summerson J: Architecture in
Britain 1530-1830: Harmondsworth: -1953: 164-166).
Listing NGR: TQ3065781322
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings