History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gothic Drinking Fountain on North West Corner

A Grade II Listed Building in Camden, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.5165 / 51°30'59"N

Longitude: -0.1182 / 0°7'5"W

OS Eastings: 530668

OS Northings: 181409

OS Grid: TQ306814

Mapcode National: GBR KB.MK

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.W4WS

Entry Name: Gothic Drinking Fountain on North West Corner

Listing Date: 1 July 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1379337

English Heritage Legacy ID: 478716

Location: Camden, London, WC2A

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Paul Covent Garden

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


798-1/106/1065 (North West side)
01/07/98 Gothic drinking fountain on
north-west corner


Drinking fountain. 1861, restored c1992. Stone. Rectangular
gabled 2-stage slab with semicircular basin on a half pedestal
flanked by block steps to plinth. 2nd stage with spout has
carved Celtic crosses set in rectangular patterning to all
sides. Gables with ball-flower cornices and central, cusped
gable inscribed "The Fear of the Lord is a Fountain of Life".
Restored stone finial being a pierced roundel with 3 swirling
HISTORICAL NOTE: the name of the donor is unknown but a letter
read out to an 1860 meeting of the District Board of Works
states that "A lady residing in the neighbourhood of London is
anxious to be permitted to put up a Drinking Fountain at her
own expense in this Parish and prefers to place it in
Lincoln's Inn Fields". This is an early public drinking
fountain erected at the time when the St Giles's parish wells
were polluted with sewage and the Board of Works were
realising the need to provide pure public water: Lincoln's Inn
Fields was being restored and renovated at the time.

Listing NGR: TQ3066881409

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.