This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6307 / 52°37'50"N
Longitude: -1.1324 / 1°7'56"W
OS Eastings: 458816
OS Northings: 304012
OS Grid: SK588040
Mapcode National: GBR FGL.ZV
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.K4ZL
Entry Name: Richard Harris and Sons Factory
Listing Date: 15 February 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380130
English Heritage Legacy ID: 479626
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester Holy Trinity with St John the Divine
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 5804 SE KING STREET
718/3/10138 (West side)
Richard Harris and Sons Factory
Hosiery warehouse, now industrial units. c.1845, probably by William Flint of Leicester for the noted hosiery manufacturer, Richard Harris. Extended in the same style 1851 by Flint & Wickes, 1856 by Flint & Shenton, 1866 and 1867, by Shenton & Baker. All these firms were successors to William Flint's practice. Used as a hosiery warehouse by Pool, Lorrimer & Tabberer, c.1890-c.1970. Converted 1974.
Red brick, with ashlar dressings and hipped welsh slate roofs with skylights and various coped stacks. Italianate style. Plinth, rusticated quoins, string courses, moulded eaves cornice with modillions. 3 storeys plus basement. Approximately square plan, 15 x 13 windows. Windows are mainly C19 plain sashes with segmental white brick heads.
Entrance front to King Street, 9 windows, has to right the main doorway, remodelled 1867. Round arched doorway with rusticated surround and keystone, moulded 6-panel margin stile door and plain fanlight. Above, a window with moulded surround, volutes, keystone and voussoir head. Marlborough Street front, 15 windows, has regular fenestration. Duke Street front, 13 windows, has regular fenestration, mainly C19 glazing bar sashes, some to the ground floor partly reglazed. The fifth window is replaced by a C20 loading door. In the ninth bay, a pair of cart doors, with a segmental headed rusticated surround. The windows above this bay are tripartite. In the twelfth bay, a C20 doorway, with a half-window to left, and a blank to right.
INTERIOR: Round cast iron columns carrying wooden floors.
Listing NGR: SK5881604012
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings