This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9447 / 52°56'40"N
Longitude: -1.393 / 1°23'34"W
OS Eastings: 440887
OS Northings: 338758
OS Grid: SK408387
Mapcode National: GBR 7G3.8NT
Mapcode Global: WHDGV.K7WW
Entry Name: Garden Terraces, Walls, Glasshouses and Fernery to North-West of Locko Park
Listing Date: 6 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380206
English Heritage Legacy ID: 479889
Location: Dale Abbey, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE21
Civil Parish: Dale Abbey
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Spondon St Werburgh
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 43 NW DALE ABBEY LOCKO PARK ROAD
1774/5/10009 Garden Terraces, Walls,
Glasshouses and Fernery to
North-West of Locko Park
Garden walls, terraces, glasshouses and fernery, and attached features. Probably begun c1790-1827 by William Drury Lowe, and remodelled in an Italianate style c1849-1877 by William Drury Holden/Lowe. Later C19 alterations and additions for WDN Drury Lowe, d1906, and minor late C20 alterations and additions.
The buildings are 30m NW of Locko Park, with their main axis NE/SW. The garden walls enclose a square approx. 150m on a side, with the terrace, glasshouses and associated features at the NE end.
Garden walls red brick and gault brick, with ashlar and terra cotta dressings.
South garden wall has niches, and intermediate piers topped with urns. Central gateway with square brick piers and dentillated caps topped with lead winged lions. Double wrought iron gates. East and west walls have round-arched doorways, and east wall has late C20 lean-to addition. The garden is divided by 4 radial paths, centred on a round pond.
Terrace retaining wall has stone coping with brick dentillations and intermediate square piers. Central flight of stone steps with stone coping to the balustrade walls. At the west end, a wall with panelled square piers and stone coping, linked to the terrace retaining wall and formerly to the glasshouses. Round arched gateway with shaped terra cotta keystone and finial, and double wrought iron gates. Attached to the north side, an ashlar wall with rounded ashlar coping, forming an eye-shaped enclosure known as the bull pen. This has a pair of square gatepiers with pyramidal caps, to the east. At the east end, a semicircular projection retained by a red brick wall with stone coping and ball finials. North of this, stone steps to a wrought iron screen and gate, flanked by rusticated piers with ball finials. To east, a round cast iron vase on a stone plinth, with octagonal stem and rolled rim.
Glasshouse range has in the centre a conservatory with canted central projection under a hipped roof, and lean-to side ranges. This secton has a chamfered ashlar plinth. On either side, lower lean-to additions with gault brick plinths and beds in front enclosed by brick walls, probably intended as vine houses. The glasshouse structures are wood, with cast iron columns, brackets and fittings. The heated rear wall, red brick, refronted mid C19 in gault brick, has a ramped stone coping with ball finials. To west, the wall is demolished. To east, a boundary wall with piers and round arched gateway, identical to that at the west end of the terrace. At the rear, to west, a lean-to fernery with central gabled porch and double doors, by Foster & Pearson of Beeston. Interior has tufa fixtures, and glazed double doors into the main glasshouses. In the centre, lean-to potting sheds, bothy, stokehole and stores, red brick with Welsh slate roofs, single storey and 2 storeys. At the east end, a tunnel leading to the nearby farm buildings. Red brick, with round arch to east, with keystone and stone coped parapet wall. Datestone with illegible inscription. East of the arch, retaining walls approx. 15m long, red brick with stone copings, and square gatepiers with pyramidal caps. Double wrought iron gates with skeleton piers, mid C19.
Listing NGR: SK4088738758
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings