This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2951 / 52°17'42"N
Longitude: -1.5365 / 1°32'11"W
OS Eastings: 431709
OS Northings: 266426
OS Grid: SP317664
Mapcode National: GBR 6NJ.2CG
Mapcode Global: VHBXJ.BK2Z
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 25 March 1970
Last Amended: 30 November 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381158
English Heritage Legacy ID: 481518
Location: Royal Leamington Spa, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV32
Civil Parish: Royal Leamington Spa
Built-Up Area: Royal Leamington Spa
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Leamington Spa Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
ROYAL LEAMINGTON SPA
SP3166SE BEAUCHAMP AVENUE
1208-1/2/38 (North side)
25/03/70 Church of the Holy Trinity
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of the Holy Trinity)
Church. 1847 (begun 1825) by Mitchell of Leamington Spa for
Revd Craig of Leamington Parish Church of All Saints (qv)
(cost »13,000); with substantial additions and alterations of
1865; enlargement of transepts and addition of vestry in 1881
by John Cundall; porch and east chancel wall of 1900; further
alterations of 1913-14; south transept stained glass c1891 by
Collier. Sandstone ashlar with Welsh slate roof and cast-iron
STYLE: Gothic Revival, Decorated.
PLAN: 4-bay aisled nave with short west bay to nave and south
aisle incorporating porch, 2-bay transepts with organ loft to
south and vestry to north, single-bay chancel.
EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth. Chamfered continuous sill band.
Off-set buttresses between windows with pinnacles.
Battlements. Entrance to south porch a pointed door in
double-chamfered ovolo-moulded surround and hollow-moulded
hood with quatrefoils to spandrels; embattled blind arcade
above. To east end of porch a stair turret. 7-light west
window with curvilinear tracery to head. Similar mainly
4-light windows to aisles, the westernmost to south aisle has
2 lights. North and south transepts have 5-light windows,
below that to south a 9-light arcade window; further 2-light
window to north. To chancel a 7-light east window with rose to
INTERIOR: irregular nave arcade has to south 3 bays and 2
narrower west bays, to north are 4 bays with further
double-chamfered arch to west; otherwise arcade has column
clusters with foliate capitals and double-chamfered arches.
Single tall arches to crossing, crossing has rib-vault.
Transept arcades on pairs of polished grey granite pillars
with foliate caps and traceried decoration to spandrels.
Cylindrical stone pulpit with grey and pink granite
colonnettes. Carved marble font. Cast-iron gates to south-east
have Art Nouveau decoration.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this was a propriety church until 1899 when
created a parish church. The square, formerly known as
Beauchamp Square (and originally Newbold Square), was laid out
c1828-31 to plans by PF Robinson, architect, of Mayfair.
(Dept of the Environment List of Buildings: Royal Leamington
Spa: 1970-; Manning JC (Facsimile by Warwickshire County
Library, 1988): Glimpses of our Local Past .. Royal Leamington
Spa: Royal Leamington Spa: 1895-: 140).
Listing NGR: SP3170966426
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings