This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1984 / 52°11'54"N
Longitude: -1.5475 / 1°32'51"W
OS Eastings: 431022
OS Northings: 255671
OS Grid: SP310556
Mapcode National: GBR 5NB.5K8
Mapcode Global: VHBY3.407J
Entry Name: Moreton Manor
Listing Date: 6 February 1952
Last Amended: 19 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381954
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482319
Location: Moreton Morrell, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Civil Parish: Moreton Morrell
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Moreton Morrell Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP3055 VILLAGE STREET, Moreton Morrell
1901-1/11/151 (West side)
06/02/52 Moreton Manor
(Formerly Listed as:
Formerly known as: Moreton Hall Moreton Morrell.
Manor house. c1600, with some C18 work to late C19/C20 wings
to east and north. C17 wing of limestone ashlar with flush
quoins; gabled Welsh slate roof with ashlar stack; rest of
building of brick and timber-frame with brick infill, slate
roof and brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: C17 south-west wing has moulded plinth, drip course
over ground floor and coped gables. West, garden, front: 2
storeys with basement; 2-window range. Drip course carried
round external stack to right of centre which has cornice at
eaves level. Ovolo-moulded mullioned-and-transomed windows,
most with small-paned glazing, one with stained glass and one
with plate glass; enriched window catches; 2 small 2-light
barred basement windows to plinth; ground floor has 2
cross-mullioned windows to left of stack and 3-light transomed
window to right; first floor has two 3-light transomed
3-storey; 2-window range to left is of C18 brick with later
alterations; 2-storey flat-roofed early C20 bay window to left
of segmental-headed window to each floor and 2 windows to
second floor, all with C20 casements; brick cross-axial stack.
Coped gable end has central projection. East front adjacent to
later wing has 3-light transomed window to each floor.
INTERIOR: entrance hall to east wing has re-set C17 panelling;
C17 staircase has spindle-turned balusters, probably not
original, the landing with C19 balustrade of twisted and
stop-chamfered balusters. Ground-floor room of C17 wing has
early C17 panelling to half the height of the room; ashlar
fireplace with moulded Tudor arch and spandrels has early C17
wood chimneypiece with attached columns flanking fireplace and
Ionic columns flanking overmantel with 2 round-headed panels
with fluted pilaster between them and modillioned cornice to
frieze with acanthus consoles and panels carved with dragons;
C19/C20 exposed joists.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Wedgwood, A:
Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 358; Victoria County
Histories: Victoria History of the County of Warwick: London:
Listing NGR: SP3102255671
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings