History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wellesbourne, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1979 / 52°11'52"N

Longitude: -1.5958 / 1°35'44"W

OS Eastings: 427724

OS Northings: 255596

OS Grid: SP277555

Mapcode National: GBR 5N8.5CY

Mapcode Global: VHBY2.907X

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 5 April 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1382017

English Heritage Legacy ID: 482382

Location: Wellesbourne, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Wellesbourne and Walton

Built-Up Area: Wellesbourne

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Wellesbourne St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Wellesbourne Hastings

Listing Text


WELLESBOURNE

SP2655 CHURCH STREET, Wellesbourne Hastings
1901-1/12/197 (South West side)
05/04/67 Church of St Peter

GV II*

Church. Late C13 with late C14 tower; extensively rebuilt and
enlarged, nave lengthened to east, chancel rebuilt, 1847 by JP
Harrison.
MATERIALS: coursed dressed limestone, narrow courses to north
aisle and rubble to south aisle, with ashlar dressings; C19
tile roofs with decorative bands and cresting, slate to south
aisle.
PLAN: 2-bay chancel with north organ loft and vestry and south
chapel; 5-bay nave with gabled north aisle and lean-to south
aisle; 3-stage west tower. Off-set and diagonal buttresses;
coped gables.
EXTERIOR: chancel has some red sandstone incorporated in east
end below 3-light window with Decorated tracery; south side
has entrance with pointed arch and 2-light window with uncut
hood stops; vestry has 3-light east window, lower part blind,
and small double-cusped light and 2-light window to north;
chapel has Y-tracery east window over re-set late C13
quatrefoil, 3 single-chamfered lancets to south.
North aisle has pointed entrance to west end of north wall;
four 3-light north windows with reticulated tracery and one to
west end. South aisle has top cornice and parapet with roll
moulding; gabled stone porch has entrance with continuous
moulding and iron gates; late C14 2-light straight-headed
window to left has head stops to hood mould; 3 windows to
right as to north aisle; west lancet.
Tower has string courses and top cornice and crenellated
parapet with continuous roll moulding; 3-light west window
with Perpendicular tracery and hood with grotesque stops,
crockets and fleuron, small light to south side has large hood
with crockets and fleurons, second stage has similar light to
each side, 2 to south; 2-light louvred bell-openings with
similar hoods, and head stops.
INTERIOR: chancel has waggon roof with Y-shaped principals,
carved bosses and stencilling; c1100 former chancel arch
re-set to organ loft: 2 orders with cushion capitals and some
cable; 1873 arch to chapel has trumeau supporting trefoil.
Sanctuary has 1873 red and white marble panelling by TH Wyatt,
to east with brattishing with central gablet over reredos
cross in trefoil arch and flanking quatrefoils, flanking
2-light arches with mosaic panels; cusped niche to north and
gabled sedilia to south.
Nave has ashlared single-rafter roof with scissor braces and
stencilling; high west gallery with painted panels and 2
entrances over tower arch; 5-bay arcades have shafted piers
with plain capitals, the south aisle late C13 with C19
addition, the north aisle C19.
FITTINGS: chancel has encaustic tiles and traceried stall
fronts; nave has C19 timber pulpit and lectern with rich
carving; C19 font to north aisle has tracery panels.
Memorials: brass to Sir Thomas le Straunge, d.1426, knight in
armour; good C18 and C19 wall tablets, and tablet in chancel
to Paul Aylworth, black marble panel with architrave and
armorial bearing with skull crest; C18 niche to chancel north
wall with pedestal inscribed to Ann and John Denes, d.1761 and
1786.
STAINED GLASS: good glass to chancel, aisles and tower; tower
window by Holland of Warwick; chancel south window, 1892, by C
E Kempe; some windows by Willement.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Wedgwood, A:
Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 467-8; Victoria County
Histories: Styles, P: Victoria History of the County of
Warwickshire: 1949-: 196-7; Shell Guides: Hickman, D:
Warwickshire: London: 1979-: 178).

Listing NGR: SP2772455596

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.