History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whitelands

A Grade II Listed Building in Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6099 / 51°36'35"N

Longitude: -0.6557 / 0°39'20"W

OS Eastings: 493184

OS Northings: 190979

OS Grid: SU931909

Mapcode National: GBR F6Z.315

Mapcode Global: VHFSN.LS7P

Entry Name: Whitelands

Listing Date: 14 July 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1382501

English Heritage Legacy ID: 482885

Location: Beaconsfield, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire, HP9

County: Buckinghamshire

District: South Bucks

Civil Parish: Beaconsfield

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Beaconsfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Beaconsfield

Listing Text

SU99SW BEACONSFIELD GREGORIES ROAD

1/10032 Number 75,
Whitelands

II

House. Built 1933-34 to designs by Stanley Hinge Hamp (1877-1968) of the firm of
Collcutt and Hamp for Arthur Brooks Esq. Original plans dated 9th December 1932 show the building without the garage extension, but plans for the garage extension were approved on the 29th August 1933 and are by the same architect. Modern Movement house built of 11 inch cavity wall brickwork finished in limewashed rough stucco with flat roof with two chimneystacks, one incorporated in a roof water tank. Original small-paned metal-framed Crittall casements with minimal lines above representing hood mouldings. Asymmetrical design of two storeys with irregular fenestration.
EXTERIOR: Front or north west elevation has projecting centre bay with water tank
with flagpoles to roof, tall staircase window to left of 24 panes with lower lights opening, first floor right corner window continuing on return, small cloakroom window to ground floor and splayed main entrance with cantilevered flat hood with zigzag decoration and concealed lighting in the soffit and wooden door with glazed top panel, narrow central panel with letterbox and tall bottom panel. Recessed bay to left has first floor corner window continuing around return and three small windows to ground floor. One storey one bay structure to left with round-headed arch was originally a boiler room. To right of projecting centre there is a two-light window to first floor, three-light window to ground floor and final bay with corner first floor casement to first floor continuing on return and late C20 garage doors to ground floor in original opening. Right side elevation has small additional first floor window and attached section of original wall with flat coping, pier and round-headed opening. Rear or south east elevation is of four bays. Left bay has first floor 4-light casement and ground floor 2-light casement. Adjoining recessed bay has first floor five-light casement and ground floor round-headed French window flanked by narrower tall windows of 19 panes, all with keystones. Next bay to right has four-light window to each floor and small window and glazed door to return. End bay to right projects slightly in front of adjoining bay and has two-light casement to first
floor and smaller casement and round-headed entrance to ground floor.
INTERIOR: Hall has round-headed niche at the side of front door, round-headed arch into kitchen and dogleg staircase with solid balusters, oak handrail and square newel posts. Living Room has stone bolection-moulded fireplace and retains two round-headed alcoves on either side which were originally bookcases but are now display units. Dining Room has lost original corner fireplace. Original scullery and pantry walls have been removed and incorporated in extended kitchen. Maid's bedroom at front of house retains original sink. Original flush-panelled doors throughout. Much of the original garden layout survives.

Source:BOE Buckinghamshire 1994 p176.
Source:Architectural Review August 1934 pp57-8.

NGR: SU9318390978

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.