This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4363 / 53°26'10"N
Longitude: -1.9463 / 1°56'46"W
OS Eastings: 403667
OS Northings: 393277
OS Grid: SK036932
Mapcode National: GBR GXVP.FX
Mapcode Global: WHB9T.2WHK
Entry Name: The School House and Numbers 1 and 2 School Buildings
Listing Date: 4 December 1958
Last Amended: 22 May 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384256
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484690
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK13
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
Electoral Ward/Division: Whitfield
Built-Up Area: Glossop
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Whitfield St James
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0393SE HAGUE STREET, Whitfield
921-1/15/106 (West side)
04/12/58 The School House and Nos.1 and 2
(Formerly Listed as:
HAGUE STREET, Whitfield
Joseph Hague School)
School and schoolmaster's house now 3 dwellings. 1779,
refenestrated mid C19, converted late C20. Narrow coursed
millstone grit with ashlar dressings, stone slate roof, stone
stacks and gabled bellcote to left gable with pilasters and
EXTERIOR: school originally one storey, now 2 storey, master's
house 3 storey. Street front has irregular 4 window facade,
arranged 3:1. Former school to left has single pointed arched
doorway to left with small painted ornamental plaque above
with beehive and floriated bearers, to right 3 pointed arched
windows, the centre one now blocked. Above 3 pointed arched
openings, the outer ones with windows and the centre one with
inscribed plaque which reads:-
"This school was erected and endowed by JOSEPH HAGUE Esquire,
of Park Hall in this Parish as a testimony of Gratitude to
ALMIGHTY GOD for his favour and Blessings through a life of
years whereby he was enabled to accumulate an ample fortune
and make a plentiful Provision for his numerous Relations and
Dependents. Anno Domini 1779."
All windows have C20 uPVC casements. Pointed arched doorway to
left, with small painted ornamental plaque above with beehive
and floriated bearers. Former master's house to right, single
window, 3 storey. Single doorway with heavy lintel and
rusticated surround, and above single 16-pane casement window
in painted surround and above again single 12-pane casement in
Rear elevation has 2 pointed arched windows to each floor of
former school with inserted C20 uPVC casements. Attached 2
unit, 3 storey master's house, at lower level, has rear front
with garage door to right and above single 2-light and single
3-light mullioned windows to each of the upper floors.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
This school was originally endowed in 1779 by Joseph Hague, a
local cotton manufacturer.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 219).
Listing NGR: SK0366793277
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings