This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4441 / 53°26'38"N
Longitude: -1.949 / 1°56'56"W
OS Eastings: 403485
OS Northings: 394149
OS Grid: SK034941
Mapcode National: GBR GXTM.V3
Mapcode Global: WHB9T.1P6J
Entry Name: Glossop Railway Station and Co-Op Building
Listing Date: 4 December 1958
Last Amended: 22 May 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384287
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484721
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK13
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
Electoral Ward/Division: Howard Town
Built-Up Area: Glossop
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Whitfield St James
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0394 NORFOLK STREET
921-1/10/25 (West side)
04/12/58 Glossop Railway Station and Co-op
(Formerly Listed as:
Railway station and former engine sheds, the latter now
occupied by retail store. 1847, converted c1985. For the 13th
Duke of Norfolk who brought the Sheffield and Manchester
Railway line from Dinting to Glossop. Designed by ME Hadfield
and TG Weightman. Millstone grit ashlar to end walls, coursed
rubble to sides. Welsh slate and synthetic tile roofs.
PLAN: 4 parallel ranges, pair to left former engine sheds
linked to station and offices range by curtain wall with
EXTERIOR: single storey. Norfolk Street front asymmetrical.
Former sheds have pedimented gables with coping, rusticated
and vermiculated quoins to left and projecting single storey
block with hipped roof, 5 blind windows and off-centre
doorway. To right large C20 access doorway.
Main, central entrance to station has banded and vermiculated
rustication, round headed archway surmounted by entablature
supporting large carved lion statant with date in Roman
numerals. Plain curtain wall links with office which has
paired round headed doorways in recessed panel surrounds.
Station block has deeply overhanging eaves with rusticated and
vermiculated quoins, 2 glazing bar sashes in single moulded
Left return has 11-window range divided by pilasters, with
round headed windows, some bays broken through in C20.
Right return has 7-window range with overhanging eaves sill
band and cornice. Third window bay gabled. Windows have margin
INTERIOR: station has cast-iron columns and wooden canopy with
Listing NGR: SK0348594149
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings