History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Victoria Hall and Public Library

A Grade II Listed Building in High Peak, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4466 / 53°26'47"N

Longitude: -1.9501 / 1°57'0"W

OS Eastings: 403412

OS Northings: 394423

OS Grid: SK034944

Mapcode National: GBR GXTL.M7

Mapcode Global: WHB9T.0MNN

Entry Name: Victoria Hall and Public Library

Listing Date: 22 May 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384300

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484734

Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK13

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak

Town: High Peak

District Council Ward: Howard Town

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Whitfield St James

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Hadfield

Listing Text


GLOSSOP

SK0394 TALBOT STREET
921-1/10/31 (West side)
Victoria Hall and Public Library

II

Concert hall and public library. 1887. Coursed rock-faced
millstone grit with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs
with coped gables and kneelers.
STYLE: Gothic Revival.
PLAN: cruciform plan, the main range containing library to
ground and hall to first floor, with entrances in east and
west wings that to east with bell tower.
EXTERIOR: 2 Storeys. Chamfered plinth and chamfered sill
bands.
Square east bell tower has steps and ramp to 4-centred arch
doorway in moulded ashlar surround with double panel doors and
overlight, flanked by single dated foundation stones, above 2
single light windows and rectangular plaque with coat-of-arms
inscribed:- 'Aldermen and Burgesses of the Borough/ Virtus,
Veritas et Libertas.'
Above again single pointed arch bell opening to each face with
tracery and louvres. Topped quatrefoil parapet, projecting
corner pinnacles with ball finials and square spire with
finial and lucarnes.
Main north front has 5 window canted apsidal end with 4 window
sides, divided by single storey pilasters topped with ball
finials. Blind quatrefoil panels between floors, topped with
blind arcaded and coped parapet. Side windows single light,
apsidal windows paired in chamfered surrounds with dividing
mullion. Central bay topped by pedimented gable with ball
finial and escutcheon inscribed:- 'Public Library Glossop'
To west entrance to Victoria Hall similar to east entrance
with 2 similar windows above topped with gable.
Remaining elevations with similar detailing, basement level
apparent to rear south facade.
INTERIOR: has main entrance hall with glazed tiles bearing
heraldic motif and inscription. Tower contains staircase to
first floor hall. Opposing entrance from west with wooden
staircase. Ground floor library retains moulded architraves to
panelled doors and engaged pilasters support encased wide
beams. Plastered and painted.
Built to commemorated Queen Victoria's Jubilee, donated by H
Rhodes and Capt Partington, foundation stones laid 30 July
1887.

Listing NGR: SK0341294423

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.