This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4884 / 52°29'18"N
Longitude: 1.7555 / 1°45'19"E
OS Eastings: 655058
OS Northings: 294465
OS Grid: TM550944
Mapcode National: GBR YT1.SSB
Mapcode Global: VHN3X.CQX7
Entry Name: Naval War Memorial
Listing Date: 3 October 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385386
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485848
Location: Waveney, Suffolk, NR32
Electoral Ward/Division: Gunton and Corton
Built-Up Area: Lowestoft
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Lowestoft Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM5594SW YARMOUTH ROAD
914-1/6/10009 Bellevue Park
Naval War Memorial
War memorial commemorating the Naval Patrol Service in the Second World War. 1952-3 by F H Crossley, with sculpture by H Tyson-Smith. Stone facings. Low circular drum forty feet in diameter set with concave bronze inscription panels listing the dead by rank. Concentric plinth supports fluted entactic column rising to stepped pinnacle and ball finial. On the finial is a model galleon (Lymphad) under sail.
The memorial to the Naval Patrol Service was unveiled on 7 October 1953 by the First Sea Lord, Admiral of the Fleet, Sir Rhoderick McGrigor.. The memorial commemorates 2,385 names from the patrol depot "Europa", including 49 from Newfoundland, who never returned to their base at Sparrow's Nest, an adjacent site in Lowestoft. Sparrow's Nest was the central depot of the Naval Patrol Service in the Second World War. The service itself was developed from the trawler section of the Royal Naval Reserve and many Lowestoft skippers and fishermen served in it. It manned the minesweepers, corvettes, fuel carriers and other small craft in the Second World War. Some 57,000 men served in the Naval Patrol Service at its height in 1944.
Lowestoft Journal, 28 November 1952
Eastern Evening News, 8 October 1953
Lowestoft Journal, 9 October 1953
C Gooday, HMS Europa, 1977, pp.24-5
Listing NGR: TM5505894465
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 13 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings