This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5049 / 51°30'17"N
Longitude: -0.0911 / 0°5'27"W
OS Eastings: 532581
OS Northings: 180172
OS Grid: TQ325801
Mapcode National: GBR RG.PP
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.CFPN
Entry Name: The Hop Exchange
Listing Date: 13 February 1970
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385923
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471343
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
London Borough Ward: Cathedrals
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Saviour with All Hallows Southwark
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3280SE SOUTHWARK STREET
636-1/17/708 (North side)
The Hop Exchange
(Formerly Listed as:
Commercial premises built as hop and malt exchange with
offices and showrooms. 1866, By RH Moore. Stuccoed with
EXTERIOR: 6 internal storeys and basement, but 3 giant storeys
and basement on front. 39 bays. Extended ground-floor order of
modified Corinthian half-columns of cast-iron resting on
basement plinths with service doors between. Grand off-centre
entrance portico rising through 2 storeys, 3 segmental-arched
openings with masks on keys, the central opening wider. Keys
support cornice and pediment which has eagle at apex and
relief scene of brewing trade in tympanum. Elaborate iron
gates with decoration of hop plants in entrance openings.
1st-floor segment-arched windows have plate tracery,
architraves resting on cornices of lower Corinthian order and
keystones which support cornice. 2nd floor has round-arched
windows with plate tracery between pilasters with impost
capitals. Parapet above has recessed corbelled section above
INTERIOR: has galleried court of 4 levels under sky-light.
Cast-iron balconies to upper 3 floors with balustrades
elaborately decorated with hop plant decoration and monograms.
Top storey rebuilt at a reduced height, and original glass and
iron roof to exchange hall replaced after fire of 1920.
Listing NGR: TQ3256380172
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings