This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1205 / 53°7'13"N
Longitude: -1.585 / 1°35'6"W
OS Eastings: 427869
OS Northings: 358223
OS Grid: SK278582
Mapcode National: GBR 592.8E2
Mapcode Global: WHCDN.MTFN
Entry Name: Bonsall Baptist Church,attached Railings, Entrance Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 23 June 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387305
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475255
Location: Bonsall, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Bonsall
Built-Up Area: Bonsall
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Bonsall St James Apostle
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK25NE BONSALL YEOMAN STREET
668/6/10030 Bonsall Baptist Church,
attached railings, entrance
gatepiers and boundary walls
Non-Conformist chapel, attached railings, entrance gatepiers and boundary walls. Dated 1824, with minor late C20 alterations. Roughcast rubble limestone with ashlar gritstone dressings and a Staffordshire Blue clay tile roof covering.
PLAN: Simple linear plan, aligned north-south with east side wall entrance and north gallery. FRONT (east) ELEVATION: 3 bay front, with tall semi-circular arch- headed windows set within ashlar surrounds with keyblocks and projecting cills. Small-paned cast iron window frames with each radiating bars to the arched head, set above a pivoted 6-pane opening light. To the right-hand end, semi-circular arch headed doorway with keylock, fanlight and 6-panel door. Above the doorway, a plaque which reads "BAPTIST 1824". 2 tall windows to south gable, and 2 shallow arch-headed windows to upper part of the north gable light the north gallery.
INTERIOR: Entrance leads into lobby to the rear of the chapel, from which a plain stick baluster stair gives access to the gallery, which retains contemporary tiered benching. Plain gallery front. At ground floor level, panelled settles separate the body of the chapel from the entrance lobby. Dado boarding to chapel walls, and simple central pulpit with ball finials above boarded frontage,
SETTING: To the front of the chapel are spear-headed railings which enclose the frontage plot' extending eastwards to the entrance gatepiers which are of square section with depressed pyramidal caps, the left-hand pier supporting a metal lamp fitting. Railed entrance gate with mid rail. Attached rubble limestone boundary walls set at angle to define entrance area, then extending south and north, with plain flat coping.
HISTORY: The chapel was originally built as a preaching station of the Baptist Church of nearby Wirksworth.
A little altered example of an early C19 Baptist chapel, serving a small rural mixed industrial and agricultural community, which demonstrates, both externally and internally, the characteristic simplicity and modesty of fittings and finishes of churches of the Baptist movement of the period.
Listing NGR: SK2786958222
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings