This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8969 / 50°53'48"N
Longitude: -1.3952 / 1°23'42"W
OS Eastings: 442632
OS Northings: 110995
OS Grid: SU426109
Mapcode National: GBR RRY.8N
Mapcode Global: FRA 76ZQ.SBG
Entry Name: Provincial House and Gatepiers to North East
Listing Date: 29 July 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387843
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475835
Location: Southampton, SO14
County: City of Southampton
Electoral Ward/Division: Bargate
Built-Up Area: Southampton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Southampton City Centre St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 4210 SOUTHAMPTON CANUTE ROAD
983/5/10031 Provincial House and
gatepiers to NE
Bank. 1927-9; by F.C.R. Palmer, for the National Provincial Bank. Buff-coloured Flemish bond brick with red brick and Portland stone dressings. Clay plain tile hipped roof with moulded Portland stone eaves. Side stacks with Portland stone weathering to set-offs and moulded stone caps.
PLAN: Almost square, parallelogram on plan, to fit site adjacent to former railway; with entrance and staircase on north front and banking hall at back.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 3-bay north front, the corners with quoins set back; the ground floor windows and large central round-arch doorway with rusticated architraves, voussoirs and band at impost level; broad stone stringcourse above and tall central first floor window in moulded stone architrave with cornice on consoles; flanking windows and second floor window above in red brick architraves with keystones, the second floor window flanked by carved stone festoons; cornice and balustrade above with urns on corners; the attic above is set back and has hipped roof with dormer with segmental pediment. The side and rear elevations are similarly treated. Rainwater heads dated 1928.
INTERIOR: Banking hall has a moulded plaster ceiling. Small entrance vestibule and geometric stone staircase with iron balustrade with brass handrail.
Listing NGR: SU4267711030
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings