This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5994 / 53°35'57"N
Longitude: -2.4717 / 2°28'18"W
OS Eastings: 368881
OS Northings: 411524
OS Grid: SD688115
Mapcode National: GBR CV5T.PG
Mapcode Global: WH97N.0S9J
Entry Name: Barrowdean House
Listing Date: 26 April 1974
Last Amended: 30 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387895
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475888
Location: Bolton, BL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Smithills
Built-Up Area: Bolton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Halliwell St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/02/2018
BAZLEY STREET (South side)
(Formerly listed as Barrowdean House, previously listed as: BAZLEY STREET Deane Mills Institute)
Village institute, later a laundry and now subdivided as dwellings.1846. Ashlar.
EXTERIOR: Two storeys, eleven-window range articulated as two-seven-two bays. Pedimented shallow wings project from centre of each return, originally forming entrances. First floor is principal storey, with tall round-arched windows, the lower windows rectangular (and some now enlarged as doorways), all in moulded stone architraves. Moulded stone cornice and pedimented gables (the upper gable embattled).
INTERIOR: not inspected.
The educational institute and library was built by Thomas Bazley to serve the model village of Barrow Bridge, established c1830 for workers at the nearby Dean mills. The village provided housing for some 300 of the workforce, and there were also a canteen, bakery, baths and co-operative shop.
Listing NGR: SD6888111524
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings