This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5086 / 51°30'30"N
Longitude: -0.3058 / 0°18'20"W
OS Eastings: 517675
OS Northings: 180213
OS Grid: TQ176802
Mapcode National: GBR 72.RKZ
Mapcode Global: VHGQW.NB6V
Entry Name: White House at Ealing Studios
Listing Date: 26 June 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389250
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487885
Location: Ealing, London, W5
Electoral Ward/Division: Walpole
Built-Up Area: Ealing
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Ealing
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ18SE EALING GREEN
962/2/10056 Ealing Green
26-JUN-01 (West side)
White House, Ealing Studios
Former house, now offices. Early C19, much remodelled in c.1931 as the main offices for Ealing Film Studios by Robert Atkinson for Basil Dean and Sir Gerald du Maurier. Brick, rendered white. Two storeys with main rectangular block to front, and long wing to side. Symmetrical faÎade with central pediment and large projecting porch. Metal casement windows. Pedimented gables and bow window to rear. Interior retains 1930s metal staircase and some cornices.
Included for historic interest as the most prominent and well-known building on the Ealing Studios site, the centre of its office activity.
Ealing Film Studios are the most historic surviving film studios in England, both architecturally and for their associations with our film-making history. The first studios were erected here in 1908, Ealing being chosen for having the most smog-free environment close to London. In 1928 legislation demanding a `quota' of British films be shown in cinemas encouraged a revival and reorganisation of the film-making industry, and Basil Dean and Sir Gerald du Maurier in 1929 founded a company, Associated Talking Pictures with an American distributor, the Radio Keith Orpheum Corporation. The partnership of Atkinson and Anderson was brought in to rebuild the site with new studios between 1931 and 1934.
Ealing Studios' greatest importance, however, is for the films shown there. The site enjoyed a successful if unspectacular era under Dean, for it was here that most of Gracie Fields' and George Formby's most popular films were made. The most famous era, however, was that between 1938 and 1958, when Michael Balcon invested the films with a new social vision. His wartime films were notable for their good characterisation and plot, but it was in the post-war period that the sense of social mores truly came out, with `Passport to Pimlico' (1948), `Whisky Galore' (1948), `Kind Hearts and Coronets' (1949), `The Lavender Hill Mob' (1950), `The Titfield Thunderbolt' (1952) and `The Ladykillers' (1955). No other British studio has so strong a history or firm sense of its place as the maker of a distinctively English, indeed London, kind of film.
Architects' Journal, 16 December 1931
The Builder, 26 February 1932
Ealing Building Control Records, E6119
Paul Spencer-Longhurst, Robert Atkinson, 1989
Kinematograph Weekly, 4 October 1951
Ealing Local History Library, Ealing Studios Scrapbook, various dates
The British Journal of Photography, 30 January 1976, 12 March 1976, and 9 April 1976
Ealing Local History Library, The Story of Ealing Studios, nd
Charles Barr, Ealing Studios, 1977
Rachael Low, The History of the British Film 1929-39, Film Making in 1930s Britain, 1985
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings