This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9218 / 52°55'18"N
Longitude: -1.478 / 1°28'40"W
OS Eastings: 435190
OS Northings: 336170
OS Grid: SK351361
Mapcode National: GBR PKF.3Z
Mapcode Global: WHDGT.8TFG
Entry Name: Post Office (Former Tramway Offices)
Listing Date: 6 September 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389278
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487913
Location: Derby, DE1
County: City of Derby
Unitary Authority Ward: Arboretum
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: All Saints Derby
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK3536SW VICTORIA STREET
893/1/10075 (North side)
06-SEP-00 Post Office (former Tramway Offices)
Offices, now Post Office. 1903 with late C20 alterations. Designed by Alexander MacPherson for the Derby Tramway Co and built by Messrs Ford & Co. Red brick with ashlar banding and ashlar dressings, plain tile roofs and polished marble plinth. 4 storeys.
Irregular facade with altered ground floor under projecting canopy. Original doorway to right in deeply chamfered ashlar surround topped with oval overlight and to right a small casement in ashlar surround. Left end has canted corner with panelled door in ashlar surround with 2-light overlight and plaque inscribed TRAMWAY OFFICE topped by pediment with circular opening. Upper section has canted bay window topped with octagonal tower and copper domed roof. Main facade has 3 windows to left with 3-light, single light and 3-light casements to first and second floors. Above a set back balcony with a 3-light window and scroll brackets with to right a 4-light dormer window set in a hipped roof with octagonal cupola. To right 2 single light casement windows set at differing levels, this section topped with a gable and an elaborate Venetian window. Gable has ashlar coping and scroll kneelers with a segment pediment at the apex with a deeply set plaque inscribed 1903. To the right set at an angle a very narrow bay with a single light casement to each floor topped with an oval window with an elaborate ashlar surround.
Listing NGR: SK3519036170
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings