History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Railway Bridge 171d (Skew Bridge)

A Grade II Listed Building in Wolverton and Greenleys, Milton Keynes

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0671 / 52°4'1"N

Longitude: -0.8079 / 0°48'28"W

OS Eastings: 481810

OS Northings: 241636

OS Grid: SP818416

Mapcode National: GBR CZV.6LK

Mapcode Global: VHDSZ.Y97Q

Entry Name: Railway Bridge 171d (Skew Bridge)

Listing Date: 18 July 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1389359

English Heritage Legacy ID: 488001

Location: Wolverton and Greenleys, Milton Keynes, MK12

County: Milton Keynes

Civil Parish: Wolverton and Greenleys

Built-Up Area: Milton Keynes

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Wolverton Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Stony Stratford

Listing Text


891/0/10006 OLD WOLVERTON ROAD
18-JUL-01 Railway bridge 171D (Skew Bridge)

II

Railway underbridge. Built 1837-8 for the London and Birmingham Railway, engineer Robert Stephenson. Constructed of red brick in English bond, extensively repaired in blue engineering brick with red sandstone dressings. The bridge consists of a single segmental arch with stone impost bands, built on a significant skew. The arch is framed on the west face by elegant stone coped retaining wing-walls, which curve forward to terminate in low piers with pyramidal stone caps. The east face has a similar retaining wall on the north, but to the south the bridge abuts against the impressive, rock-faced stone retaining wall of the north end of the embankment for Wolverton's first railway station, now superseded by the former Royal Train Shed (q.v.).
History: The line through Wolverton was built in 1837-8 and opened by the London and Birmingham Railway. In 1846 it became a part of the London and North Western Railway, and in 1923 a part of the LMS.
Reference: Information from Milton Keynes Borough Council.

Listing NGR: SP8181241634

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.