This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6354 / 52°38'7"N
Longitude: -1.1365 / 1°8'11"W
OS Eastings: 458536
OS Northings: 304536
OS Grid: SK585045
Mapcode National: GBR FGK.24
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.J01Y
Entry Name: 58, High Street
Listing Date: 29 August 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389406
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488065
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Unitary Authority Ward: Castle
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
718/0/10157 HIGH STREET
Shop premises. 1903. By AE Sawday for TE Butler, Son and Co., chemists. Sandstone ashlar, with slate roof and leading. Steel frame internally. Free classical style with Art Nouveau detailing. 3 storeys. 3-window front to High Street with large projecting corner bay and a 5-window front to Cart's Lane. Wooden mullion and transom or display windows on first floor with sashes with glazing bars on 2nd floor. Columns or pilasters between windows on 2nd floor form arcade interspersed by tall pilasters linking both storeys which have swags of flowers and foliage at the top. Later C20 shopfront to Joseph's, but original shopfront to Amabis. Curved glass display windows, central door with carved frame and over-lights with carved frames above. The corner bay has a prominent dome attic rising above the roof level. The sides are mainly blank but a decorative leaded panel remains featuring a pestle and mortar and inscribed 'estd.1840'.
Major features of the High Street front are the two panels of glazed tiling. These large panels depict firstly a medieval alchemist with pestle and mortar and carboys set in an arcade over floral plaques either side a central inscription 'chemists by examination' and secondly a sea scene with a full-rigged sailing vessel etc inscribed 'for headache drink Sea Breeze'. On the side to Cart's Lane another C20 shop front and an iron gate with Art Nouveau details inscribed 'Butlers Goods Entrance'.
A well-designed shop premises of the period with much surviving detailing and unusual and elaborate glazed tile decoration.
Listing NGR: SK5853604538
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings