This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6307 / 52°37'50"N
Longitude: -1.0999 / 1°5'59"W
OS Eastings: 461017
OS Northings: 304039
OS Grid: SK610040
Mapcode National: GBR FQL.2V
Mapcode Global: WHFKP.24HL
Entry Name: Hunter Lodge
Listing Date: 10 September 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389422
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488081
Location: Leicester, LE5
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Spinney Hills
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: North Evington St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
718/0/10164 GWENDOLEN ROAD
Row of houses, now local authority hostel. 1897. By Arthur Wakerley for the Wycliffe Society for the Blind on land given by the architect. Red Brick with slate roof and brick ridge and end stacks. Plain and fishscale tiles to pentice roof. Simplified Queen Anne style with Dutch gables to wings. Originally row of 6 houses, projecting wings on ends with recessed centre having long pentice of canted bays. 2 storeys with attic in wings. In all a 6-window range at first floor of 8/2 sashes with paired 6/1 sashes in the wings. In the centre are 4 canted bays, each with 4/1: 8/2: 4/1 sashes. To sides of bays are part-glazed panelled doors with overlights. On the wings are a 6/1 paired sash to ground floor and an 8/2 sash to the attic. Gauged brick flat arches with keyblocks to all windows except bays, those to groundfloor on wings are basket-arched. In the centre of the front is a plaque in cut and moulded brick with curved pediment. Inscription reads 'Erected by the Wycliffe Society for helping the blind on site presented during his mayoralty by Alderman Arthur Wakerey 1897-8. The row were converted to a hostel in 1967-70 but the front is unaltered.
Forms part of a very significant group of buildings built for the blind by the Society beginning with this row, then Wycliffe Hall (now Sam cooper Day Centre), followed by 65-75 Gedding Road (qv) and then, by the Leicestershire and Rutland Insititution for the Blind, the Workshops and Lodge (qv). This embodied the ideas of the Society as expressed in Edwin Crew's book of 1912 'City of the Blind at Leicester'.
Seaton, D., 'Light amid the shadows', Leicester, 1994.
Listing NGR: SK5884804837
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings