This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6306 / 52°37'50"N
Longitude: -1.0993 / 1°5'57"W
OS Eastings: 461055
OS Northings: 304033
OS Grid: SK610040
Mapcode National: GBR FQL.6W
Mapcode Global: WHFKP.24SM
Entry Name: Sam Cooper Day Centre
Listing Date: 10 September 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488082
Location: Leicester, LE5
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Spinney Hills
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: North Evington St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
718/0/10165 GEDDING ROAD
10-SEP-01 Sam Cooper Day Centre
Hall, then Hospital and Home of Rest, now Day Centre. 1906, with additions of 1930-1. Original part by Arthur Wakerley on land given by him. For the Wycliffe Society for Helping the Blind. Red brick with slate roof. Stone coped gables. Art and Crafts style to original part, rest Neo-Georgian. Central section with 2 wings with facing gables, the original part being the left wing. 10-window range at first floor disposed 2:5:3. 6/6 sashes, with similar below except 3 to left wing. Central window is large and in moulded architrave with pediment. It has an iron balustrade which is the top of the entrance. This is a Doric portico in antis with plain entablature. Panelled door set within in channelled rustication. Left gable has projecting stack emerging from the 1st floor. On the end are wooden mullion and transom windows with a large central window emerging above the eaves in a dormer with curved leaded roof. Below this there is a plaque inscribed 'Wycliffe Hall for the Blind, opened AD1906 by Mrs.Arthur Wakerley; Edwin Crew Chairman of Committee'. To rear are further sash type windows and the former Home of Rest range with flat roof and taller central section with pedimented window.
Forms part of a very significant group of buildings built for the blind by the Society beginning with Hunter Lodge (qv), then this hall, followed by 65-71 Gedding Road (qv) and then, by the Leicestershire and Rutland Insititution for the Blind, the Workshops and Lodge (qv). This embodied the ideas of the Society as expressed in Edwin Crew's book of 1912 'City of the Blind at Leicester'.
Seaton, D., 'Light amid the shadows', Leicester, 1994.
Listing NGR: SK5884804837
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings