History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Colliery Offices Now Administration Block

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashington, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1888 / 55°11'19"N

Longitude: -1.5497 / 1°32'58"W

OS Eastings: 428767

OS Northings: 588371

OS Grid: NZ287883

Mapcode National: GBR K8MF.9S

Mapcode Global: WHC2M.5V92

Entry Name: Former Colliery Offices Now Administration Block

Listing Date: 23 November 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1389505

English Heritage Legacy ID: 488187

Location: Ashington, Northumberland, NE63

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Ashington

Built-Up Area: Ashington

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Woodhorn with Newbiggin

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Newbiggin-by-the-Sea

Listing Text


1761/0/10001 WOODHORN COLLIERY
28-NOV-01 Former Colliery Offices, now Administr
ation Block

GV II

Former Colliery Offices, now Colliery Museum administration block. Built 1912, restored c. 1990. Yellow brick with ashlar dressing and slate roof with terracotta ridge pieces.
North front has projecting 3 window centre and flanking single storey wings. Two storey central gable has 3 glazing bar sashes to ground floor with slightly broader central window. Above a large 3-light casement window. To left single storey wing has a sash window, a plain door, three further sash windows and another plain door. To right a single panelled door, then 2 sash windows.
South front has 3 window gabled two storey centre flanked by single storey wings. Central plain door with overlight flanked by pairs of small sashes, and above small plaque inscribed "1912". Above a central large glazing bar sash flanked by smaller casements. To left 3 sash windows and a C20 doorway, and to right two sash windows and 2 inserted C20 doors.
This office building was constructed in 1912 to provide accommodation for the colliery manager, under-manager, clerks and other officials, it also included an office for the union representative.


Listing NGR: NZ2889188400

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.