This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6329 / 52°37'58"N
Longitude: -1.1349 / 1°8'5"W
OS Eastings: 458643
OS Northings: 304258
OS Grid: SK586042
Mapcode National: GBR FGL.F1
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.J2SW
Entry Name: Former Constitutional Club
Listing Date: 11 January 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389645
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488335
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Unitary Authority Ward: Castle
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester Holy Trinity with St John the Divine
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
718/0/10161 MILLSTONE LANE
Former Constitutional Club
Former Constitutional Club building. Dated 1893. By Frank Seale of Leicester. Red brick with stone dressings and slate roof with terracotta decorative ridge tiles. Various ornamental ridge and side stacks. Eclectic style combining English, Flemish and French Renaissance details. Corner site, the main fronts to Pocklingtons Walk and Millstone Lane and a subsidiary one to Rupert Street. 2 storeys, basement and prominent attic. The front to Pocklingtons Walk is a 7-window range at first floor of windows with stone transoms and upper mullions and 2 elaborate curved oriels to centre left and right with triple lights and much carved detailing. Below are 6 stone mullion and transom windows, and, below the right hand oriel, a carved stone doorway with coupled pilasters in 2 tiers and curved broken pediment. Panelled double doors. The prominent attic has 2 joined gables facing and has 5 windows, 3 with transoms, and those to centre left and right above the oriels are paired sashes with round-arched heads set in elaborately decorated frontespieces which continue above into the gables. There are patterned leaded lights in the upper parts of many of the windows in the upper 2 floors, otherwise the windows are plain sashes. Stone banding is one of the features of the design and this continues round into the front to Millstone Lane to the right. This front is divided into 3 sections, that to left blank except for a small ground floor window and a projecting stack which has a carved plaque recording the laying of the stone by Lord Randolph Spencer Churchill on 21 June 1893. The central section has 3 stone mullion and transom windows on both floors and twin facing gables to the attic with 3-light windows. The section to right has stone mullion and transom windows with an elaborate frontespiece going from 1st floor to attic in the centre and having paired windows with round-arched heads. Similar patterned leaded lights in the upper parts of some of the windows in the upper 2 floors. To far right a stone doorway with carved decorative head and tablet dated 1893. The front to Rupert Street is plainer but has 2 prominent tall side stacks which are each set into their own gabled dormers linking them to the main roof. Various sashes and 2 stone doorways on the ground floor, one blocked.
INTERIOR not inspected.
This former club is an elaborate and imposing building and an unusual building type and forms a group with the adjacent Registry Office (qv).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings