This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6353 / 52°38'7"N
Longitude: -1.1693 / 1°10'9"W
OS Eastings: 456315
OS Northings: 304494
OS Grid: SK563044
Mapcode National: GBR F6K.X6
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.01G1
Entry Name: Church of St Anne
Listing Date: 31 January 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389695
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488422
Location: Leicester, LE3
County: City of Leicester
Unitary Authority Ward: Western
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
718/0/10167 LETCHWORTH ROAD
31-JAN-02 (North side)
Church of St Anne
Church. 1934. By Arthur Bryan of Leicester. Buff coloured brindle brick with some stone dressings and slate roof. Free Late Gothic style. Chancel, north Lady Chapel of 1956, south vestry and bellcote over organ chamber, nave and aisles (nave unfinished). East end has triple lancets set within large arch and surrounded by brickwork in fine layers producing a massing effect. North side has Lady Chapel with circular east window and lancets to sides. Transept-like projection and nave have lancets. South side has 3-light window to chancel and the organ chamber/bellcote projection over vestry. Projection again features brickwork in fine layers. Vestry and aisle have flat-arched windows and nave has lancets. Red brick west wall to unfinished nave has triple light window with buttresses between which become the side walls to porch.
INTERIOR. Main features of stone with plastered walls. Boarded keel roofs to nave and chancel. Chancel has richly carved fittings: altar with panelling surrounding east end, communion rail, choir stalls and organ case to Rushworth and Dreaper organ. Stained glass to east window. Richly carved pulpit features figures in high relief. Lady Chapel has stained glass east window by LC Evetts. Low nave arcades with segmental arches lead to narrow aisles. Ends of piers continue upwards as triangular shafts and split into three to become arched mouldings over the nave lancets. Radiator grilles with pierced wave decoration below lancets.
This well-designed church has fine brickwork with unusual layering and rich interior fittings and the unfinished west end does not detract from the spacious and imposing interior.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings