This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7906 / 50°47'26"N
Longitude: -1.1027 / 1°6'9"W
OS Eastings: 463339
OS Northings: 99388
OS Grid: SZ633993
Mapcode National: GBR VP5.FG
Mapcode Global: FRA 87L0.07C
Entry Name: Pair of Former Gas Lamp Standards in Front of George Court
Listing Date: 8 April 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389739
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488690
Location: Portsmouth, PO1
County: City of Portsmouth
Unitary Authority Ward: St Thomas
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
774-1/0/10018 HIGH STREET
08-APR-02 Pair of former gas lamp standards in f
ront of George Court
Pair of street gas lamp standards. Erected 1824 by the Portsea Island Gas Company. Cast-iron. Moulded circular pedestals with square bases and thin tapered shafts with late C20 replacement lanterns.
Installed by the Portsea Island Gas Company to replace oil lamps that were first introduced in 1776. Converted to electricity in 1894.
An early example of gas street lighting.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings