This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6003 / 51°36'0"N
Longitude: -0.6374 / 0°38'14"W
OS Eastings: 494470
OS Northings: 189927
OS Grid: SU944899
Mapcode National: GBR F70.MP1
Mapcode Global: VHFSV.W1WK
Entry Name: Old Church School
Listing Date: 8 May 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390064
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489017
Location: Beaconsfield, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire, HP9
District: South Bucks
Civil Parish: Beaconsfield
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Beaconsfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
411/0/10048 WINDSOR ROAD
08-MAY-02 Old Church School
School. Beaconsfield National School, 1872 by Henry Woodyer on land donated by Magdalen College, Oxford and Mr John Hargreaves. Commissioned by Woodyer's brother -in-law, the incumbent of the parish church, built by William Child. Extended 1877 -8 under Woodyer, and 1880's (proposals only), late C19/early C20. Closed 1957; porch added, interior modified after acquisition by Masonic Order, 1983. Red brick with diaper brickwork, gables with applied timber framing, tile roofs, timber belfry. Originally three schoolrooms, for boys, girls and infants, boys' and girls' classrooms, and wash rooms; extended to north, south and east. Single storey, originally three gables bays arranged east-west, southernmost obscured by added hipped roof classroom. Gabled north elevation, additional schoolroom to south, and eastern extension, now kitchen. Each gabled bay has large timber mullion and transom window, that to north set high under the gable, with flanking vertically boarded panels. Windows in clear glass except some coloured glass to rear window of former boys' schoolroom. Corridor, formerly external, to cill height of entrance elevation. Two bay hipped roof classroom, late C19, now bar, pair of tall mullion and transom windows each under gablet, tall stack with shaped cap, taller gabled bay to left now kitchens, with three bay schoolroom to rear. Porch added post 1983 reusing brick from former outside lavatories. Rear cast iron downspouts dated 1872, formerly similar goods to front elevation. Tall timber belfry with pyramidal lead roof surmounted by slender iron cross.
Interior. Hall (now Ted Wood Room) , three bay schoolroom added later C19, replacing boys' classroom and wash room, refurbished dado; former boys' schoolroom now meeting room, five bays, trussed roof with exposed purlins and principal rafters. Green glazed tiled dado said to survive behind panelling, pair of panelled doors. Similar roofs to four bay infants' and girls' schoolrooms, each with dado of glazed tiles now boarded over, vertically boarded door in arched doorframe, each with cast iron snakeshead strap hinges, door handle and lock. Similar former outer door, now behind added porch. Northern classrooms: stair with square newels moulded rail, balusters boarded over, dado partly in brick, pair of doorways to schoolroom. Bar, formerly classrooms, retains angle chimneypiece.
Henry Woodyer, a gentleman architect, ed. John Elliott and John Prichard, University of Reading 2001
Early School Days in Beaconsfield History of Church of England School 1854 - 1914, E Warr
Buildings Of England, Bucks, 1994,p171.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings