This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0006 / 55°0'2"N
Longitude: -1.6629 / 1°39'46"W
OS Eastings: 421663
OS Northings: 567383
OS Grid: NZ216673
Mapcode National: GBR JBTM.S7
Mapcode Global: WHC3J.FKDV
Entry Name: Kenton Bunker at Former RAF Blakelaw
Listing Date: 25 June 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390494
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490373
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Kenton
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Kenton The Ascension
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
1833/0/10225 KENTON LANE
Kenton Bunker at former RAF Blakelaw
Underground Operations Room or Bunker. Built 1939 as the Head Quarters of No. 13 Group for the North. Reinforced concrete and brick.
Above ground a small entrance building with a flat concrete roof supported on square brick columns. Entrance doors to right flanked by single narrow casement windows with overhanging canopy above. To left two further bays, the first has a central 2-light casement window flanked by single narrow casements. Beyond the left bay has a single narrow casement window. The bunker itself is underground and covered grass.
INTERIOR is entered down a long flight of concrete steps. The west entrance door has rubber gas seals. Almost all the original fittings survive in the Plant Room including its Porton anti-gas filters, the electrical pipes and fuse boxes, the main power input console, the original air pressure gauges and the metal ventilation ducting. The acid filled glass batteries survive in the Auxiliary Battery Room. The Operations Room itself even retains its original light fittings.
This bunker was the HQ for No. 13 Group which formed part of RAF Blakelaw. It was from here that the northern response to the Battle of Britain was co-ordinated and also the general air defence for the remainder of the Second World War.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings