This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8285 / 51°49'42"N
Longitude: -0.7792 / 0°46'45"W
OS Eastings: 484227
OS Northings: 215132
OS Grid: SP842151
Mapcode National: GBR D2S.7TY
Mapcode Global: VHDV5.F9YN
Entry Name: 94, Burcott Lane
Listing Date: 10 July 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390510
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490429
Location: Bierton with Broughton, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Bierton with Broughton
Built-Up Area: Aylesbury
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Bierton and Hulcott
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BIERTON WITH BROUGHTON
(Formerly listed as Burcott Lodge)
Farmhouse, now house. Probably C17, with alterations and additions of later C19 and c1925. Timber-framed, with brick additions, part rendered, clay tile roofs and brick ridge and end stacks.
PLAN: Original building, gable-end towards street, of two box-framed bays, with single-bay box-framed bay added to north-west. C19 brick extension facing street to south-east, creating L-plan, and block of c1925 added in the angle between the two earlier ranges.
EXTERIOR: Timber-framed range 1 1/2 storeys, of large rectangular panels with mid-rail on brick plinth, to north-west lower part of frame partly reinforced or replaced in brick. NW front has C20 door to left of 12-pane sash window and wide C20 multi-paned casement window. Roof to left of ridge stack raised, two windows, that to right a 12-pane sash. Gabled dormer with 2-light casement window to right. Gable end has 2 2-light C20 wooden casements to each floor. SE front has C20 door and 2-light gabled dormer. Jowled posts. Beam ends from raised floor in end bay exposed: those to SE raised above the mid-rail, indicating alteration to floor level.
South-east addition of 2 storeys, 3 bays, rendered. Gable end stacks. Rewindowed c.1925, former central doorway removed and replaced by circular window. To left, polygonal bay window with casement openings and 'timber-framed' gable above. Sash windows otherwise, that to right of first floor shorter. Patterned glazing bars incorporating rectangular and diamond shaped panes. Return to SW has V-plan window with similar glazing bar detail to ground floor, and single light window above.
South-west front of c.1925 addition has pent roof enclosing entrance door and surround with decorative leaded glazing to right of square bay window with glazing bar detail similar to SE front. First floor has 3-light window with projecting V-plan centre. Tile-hanging in gable above. Side wall stack to left.
INTERIOR: Substantial parts of the timber frame survive to collar level, including internal partitions incorporating tie-beam, queen struts, collar and purlins. Rafters renewed relatively recently, perhaps when the roof was raised slightly over the NW bay. Stone flag floor in SE bay of timber framed section. Some C19 fireplaces, shutters, cupboards and doors in SE addition. Fittings of c1925 otherwise.
A largely intact seventeenth-century house, with later additions, that forms a group with the adjoining barn.
Listing NGR: SP8422715131
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings