This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7071 / 52°42'25"N
Longitude: 1.3984 / 1°23'54"E
OS Eastings: 629672
OS Northings: 317578
OS Grid: TG296175
Mapcode National: GBR WGY.6CD
Mapcode Global: WHMT9.G730
Entry Name: Church Cottage
Listing Date: 18 August 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390562
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490510
Location: Wroxham, Broadland, Norfolk, NR12
Civil Parish: Wroxham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Wroxham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
127/0/10006 ST MARY'S CLOSE
18-AUG-03 CHURCH COTTAGE
House. c. 1830, extended to the north 1999. Red brick laid in English and Flemish bond; slate roofs; brick central ridge stack.
EXTERIOR: original part is 2 storeys; 2-window range. English-bond plinth course runs round building. East elevation with central brick porch with a 4-centred opening forming a recess in which is a 4-plank ledged door. One 2-light arched Y-tracery casement right and left, each with one opening leaf and external shutters. Verandah at first floor carried on circular timber posts. 2 similar first-floor windows with secondary tracery in the tracery head. Projecting eaves to the hipped roof. Central ridge stack.
South elevation is a narrower 2-window range pierced by similar windows and with a continuation of the verandah.
West elevation is also a 2-window range with 2 Y-tracery Gothick windows as before, that to the first-floor south with diamond and hexagonal glass quarries.
2-storey north extension of 1999 continues the pattern of the existing structure, including continuation of the verandah.
INTERIOR: north ground-floor room with a chamfered spine beam and a late C19 cast-iron arched register grate within a plain timber surround. South room with similar fire surround and insert.
One of the few examples of an eclectic house of c. 1830 in north-east Norfolk, combining the Italianate, Gothick and cottage-orne style, all fitted to a traditional lobby-entrance formula and probably derived from pattern books. Originally constructed for the Diocese as a house for the sexton, the house forms part of a group with the Church of St Mary (q.v.) and the Trafford Mausoleum (q.v.).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings