This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5939 / 51°35'38"N
Longitude: -0.1676 / 0°10'3"W
OS Eastings: 527026
OS Northings: 189933
OS Grid: TQ270899
Mapcode National: GBR CY.BFD
Mapcode Global: VHGQL.16RF
Entry Name: East Finchley Library
Listing Date: 18 August 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390575
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490523
Location: Barnet, London, N2
Electoral Ward/Division: East Finchley
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: All Saints East Finchley
Church of England Diocese: London
31/0/10441 HIGH ROAD
18-AUG-03 East Finchley
East Finchley Library
Public Library. 1938, with minor later-C20 alterations. Percival T. Harrison, Borough architect and engineer, assisted by C.M. Bond for Borough of Finchley. Red and brown brick in Flemish bond with Portland Stone plinth, parapets and dressings. Hipped sand-faced tile roofs. Wrought iron balconies and steel frame windows by Rowe Bros. Neo-Georgian style 2-storey building with lower range behind.
PLAN: Main range to High Road has reading rooms flanking hall that leads to central circular inner hall, off which radiates the quadrant plan lending library with lower staff rooms and offices.
EXTERIOR: High Road elevation symmetrical and of 3 windows bays, those to side and first floor are full height with concrete balconies that have scrolled metal balustrades. Windows are small-pane with hoppers and margin lights that have bronze interlinked curved and vertical mullions. Central bay framed in rusticated stone with tall advanced stepped and moulded architrave and recessed wood door with scrolled overlight all under prominent stone arms of the former Borough of Finchley with motto REGNANT QUI SERVIUNT, blending into flat stone frieze with BOROUGH OF BARNET (formerly Finchley) PUBLIC LIBRARY. Stone frieze and parapet continues to sides where LEFT return has full height curved bay with similar balcony to first floor window, and RIGHT has additional bay with window under hipped roof. To rear, curved wall of lending library has horizontal clerestory windows with soldier course lintels. Lower first floor range with similar brick detailing, and chimney.
INTERIOR: Many of the original fittings survive, with joinery of Indian Silver Greywood. Stair has elaborately scrolled metal balusters to match those at balconies, brass handrail and brass finials in a handle shape to the newels. Curved glass and timber screen between inner hall and lending library. Original wood counters and bookshelves, those to lower shelves tilted upwards, in lending and children's rooms. Saucer dome ceiling with 3 circular roof lights in lending library. Lecture Hall on first floor with stage.
HISTORY: The Borough of Finchley (later absorbed into Barnet) adopted the Public Libraries Act in May 1930 and this was its third library.
SOURCE: Library Association Record January 1939.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings