This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3032 / 51°18'11"N
Longitude: -0.7515 / 0°45'5"W
OS Eastings: 487130
OS Northings: 156753
OS Grid: SU871567
Mapcode National: GBR D96.8TF
Mapcode Global: VHDXP.XHKS
Entry Name: North Lodge, Including Attached Wall, Farnborough Hill School
Listing Date: 26 September 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390603
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490635
Location: Rushmoor, Hampshire, GU14
Electoral Ward/Division: Empress
Built-Up Area: Farnborough
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Farnborough St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
991/0/10034 FARNBOROUGH ROAD
26-SEP-03 North Lodge, including attached wall,
Farnborough Hill School
Lodge. Designed by George Devey between 1868 and 1876 as a lodge at Farnborough Hill for T G Longman the publisher. Historicist Gothic style. The ground floor is of stone rubble and some brickwork. The upper floor with gables facing north and south is mainly timberframed with close-studding, decorative bracing to the south and with plastered infill. The gable ends and central dormer to west have carved bargeboards with pendants. The dormer facing west also has ornamental tile-hanging. Tiled roof with massive external chimneystack in the centre of the west front with some stonework and black brick diaperwork with three tall brick stacks set diagonally and a section of ramped up brick and stone walling and a further single brick chimneystack set diagonally to the east. L-shaped building of one storey or one storey and attics with three windows to south and one window to west and north. Windows are three-light wooden framed casements with leaded lights. The south gable projects on wooden piers and wooden trellis above a section of wall to form a porch.
HISTORY: Longman employed George Devey to design various buildings on the estate and he was paid ?26 in 1868 and ?86 in 1876 for the North Lodge.
[Jill Allibone "George Devey" Lutterworth Press 1991 Ps 158-9.]
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings