This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2448 / 52°14'41"N
Longitude: -0.8884 / 0°53'18"W
OS Eastings: 475990
OS Northings: 261319
OS Grid: SP759613
Mapcode National: GBR BW8.B5Q
Mapcode Global: VHDRZ.KT5Z
Entry Name: 3, Gray Street
Listing Date: 2 December 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390674
English Heritage Legacy ID: 491155
Location: Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Northampton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Northampton St Michael and All Angels with St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
725/0/10041 GRAY STREET
Warehouse and light-industry factory. c.1892. Red English bond brick with stone dressings and slate roofs with end and rear stacks. 3 storeys and semi-basement. 5-bay facade. 4-window range of iron-framed windows with segmental arched heads on all floors with entrance door to right on ground floor, part-glazed taking-in door on first floor above and central part-glazed taking in door on top floor with ornamental gable above and iron crane on bracket to right. Stone lintel band with prominent brick cornice above. Gable ends blank but iron-framed windows to inner yard and rear elevations. Cast iron pillars to interior.
This warehouse and light industrial factory was built by Mr. Dyer, a currier, most probably as a warehouse to store cured leather hides on the lower floors, above which was further space, that could be rented out. Trade directories reveal a variety of trades being housed in the building. The design best utilises the narrow plot to give maximum light and space and the building is a unique survival within Northampton which shows its original plan form.
HISTORY. The factory is first shown as occupied in 1893, and all ranges of the factory are shown on the 1899 OS map.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings