This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2465 / 52°14'47"N
Longitude: -0.8871 / 0°53'13"W
OS Eastings: 476078
OS Northings: 261506
OS Grid: SP760615
Mapcode National: GBR BW8.4K6
Mapcode Global: VHDRZ.KSWQ
Entry Name: 41 & 43, Colwyn Road
Listing Date: 2 December 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390675
English Heritage Legacy ID: 491156
Location: Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Northampton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Northampton St Michael and All Angels with St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
725/0/10038 COLWYN ROAD
02-DEC-03 41 & 43
Pair of terrace houses with attached rear workshops. c.1885. Red brick, whitewashed to front of No.43 to right, with slate roofs and brick ridge and side stacks. 2 storeys and cellar to front, 3 storeys to sides and rear with 2-storey rear wings. Each house has a 3-window range at first floor of a pair of 8/1 sashes to left and a 4/1 sash to right. Ground floor has 3 sashes arranged as a triple window 4/1:8/1:4/1, and an ornamental doorcase to right with part-glazed door and overlight. Arched heads and hoodmoulds to windows with projecting keystones. To far right of No.43 is a narrow doorway leading to a passage access, probably to the rear workshop range. Skylights on roofs. Side elevation to No.41 has similar 8/1 sashes on 3 floors and, to the lower rear wing mainly 8/8 sashes and 2 doorways. Rears of houses have 8/8 sashes and iron-framed windows. Rear wings of both have iron-framed factory style windows to inner sides. No.43 has a first-floor open pentice porch to the rear gable end with windows and part-glazed door under. Further rear wing to No.41 has 2 3/3 sashes to inner side and 2 wide casements reaching across the whole of rear gable end over single-storey extension.
These are particularly fine and little-altered examples of houses with rear workshops associated with the boot and shoe industry. The houses are not shown on the 1883 OS map but the 1890 Kelly's Directory names the occupiers and the 1899 map shows the houses and rear ranges. In the late C19 and early C20 they were mainly occupied by boot closers or boot closed upper manufacturers.
English Heritage Northamptonshire Boot and Shoe Industry Report, 2000, pp.29-30, and Site Report No.76.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings